News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#6 crossovers

Started by mikec069, April 24, 2009, 08:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec069

Am working on layout plan number 1,468,954.   ;D   My question is is it advisable to put a #6 left and #6 right crossover connected to each other. the overall plan is to have to concentric ovals with a reverse loop (or two) thrown in for fun.  The crossovers will be on one side and half of the reverse loop(s) will be on the other.  I'm concerned with the derailing that may arise from trying to cross all that 'isolated' track.  Or do I not know what I'm trying to say.

Mikec069
Remember 2 + 2 = 5
for sufficient values of 2

uncbob

I am running 2 concentric ovals 22"and18"

22 and 18 are connected with 2 Right Hand 6s and then again 2 right hand 6s to create siding off the 18 that can be accessed by the trains on the 22

NO REVERSE SWITCHES though

I just ran a 484 with 5 40' gondolas and 3 40' boxes from the 22 to the siding off the 18 I also backed her out with no problems

You can see the caboose in the lower left as she sits on the siding

jward

note very carefully the arrangement of the crossover in uncbob's photo.
note that the crossover switch nearest to the curve, curves the same way as the curve, there is no s curve there. a common mistake in track planning is to have, say, a left hand switch coming out of a right hand curve. the resulting s curve can be a major source of trouble, particularly if there is no straight track between the curve and the crossover. by having the first switch of the crossover continue curving in the same direction as the curve it is adjacent to, you will have far fewer problems with locomotives and cars derailing.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA