News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Post Limitation?

Started by CNE Runner, May 05, 2009, 05:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Is it me...or is there now a limit to the length of a post? Several times recently I was not able to continue typing...almost as if I hit some sort of a word limit (which my patients would love in the real world). Has this happened to you?

Just wondering,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richG

Something similar has happened to me. I just copy the text to an Open Office document, finish it up, log out, log back in, paste the document into the message area and submit. I use whatever works.

Rich

Jim Banner

I have never had that happen, and I tend to be wordy (some would say that is putting it politely.) 

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rustyrails

It happens to me...after about 10 or 12 lines, when the window has to scroll.  I usually just type and then manually scroll down to see what I wrote.   :o  If I had to guess, I bet it's an incompatibility between this site and IE8
Rusty

Jim Banner

That might well be the explanation.  I upgraded to Firefox some time ago and have never seen that problem.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

daveb

Rusty,

IE8 has a "Compatibility View" button on the righthand side of the address bar, have you tried this to see if it resolves your problem?

Dave

rustyrails

Hey, Dave,
I keep forgetting that button is there.  Thanks for the reminder.  For those of you who don't know about Compatibility View, it is a feature that makes IE8 work better with sites built under earlier versions of IE.  This feature is enabled by clicking on the button just to the left of the "refresh" button.  I know I'm running on, but I'm trying to use up enough space that the window has to scroll. 

Hey, I have finalized the track plan for my last layout.  My intention is to head to Lowe's for lumber later this month and start building the bench work.  "The Boss" insists that I do some work on the room itself first and I can deal with that.  The basic construction is going to open frame built in 2X4 foot sections and then hung from commercial modular shelving brackets.  Total size overall is 8X12 feet.  Train controll by DCC, turnouts manually controlled where possible (whew, almost there.  The next line will have to scroll.)  My goodness....that fixed it guys. 

Recommendation:  If you are having problems typing in this window, click on the "Compatibility View" button in between the address bar and the Refresh button.  The icon looks like a torn document.  This really does work.

Rusty

CNE Runner

As usual you guys have the solution to my problems (well...computer or hobby-based ones anyway). I recently switched to IE8 (as in a couple of days ago) and that is when the problem arose. I will use the compatibility button in the future. I will also view the little tutorial that MS keeps reminding me I need to watch. Rusty, thanks for the good explanation.

Thanks all,
Ray

Update: I dused the compatibility feature of IE8 (MS Internet Explorer Version 8) and the posts worked like always...take note of this posters. Thanks!

rustyrails

Ray,
Do you mean it didn't work for you? 
Rusty

CNE Runner

No Rusty...it worked great! Thanks ever so much.

Ray