The demise of non sound steam

Started by boomertom, April 28, 2009, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 29, 2009, 12:15:58 AM
The 2009 catalog doesn't list the Connie non-sound, but they are still shown on this site.

By the way, I know of two major distributors for model trains in the U.S., Walthers and Horizon Hobby.  Who is the U.S. (North American) distributor for Bachmann trains?

Who knows, there may still be hundreds of Connies in a warehouse somewhere.

The Walthers site indicates that the non sound Spectrum Connie is discontinued.
Pacific Northern

richG

Tony's Trains indicates the DCC on board non sound Connie is available for $107.00.

Do not know if their site is accurate.
Tony's has quite a selection of Spectrum's with quite a few options. i have never ordered from Tony's but I know they are a reputable dealer.

The 4-4-0 with DCC on board non sound is $149.00.

http://www.tonystrains.com/locomotive/bachmann.htm

Rich

James Thomas

Rich,

There's the problem.  I'm talking On30; the ad is for HO.

JRT

richG

Quote from: James Thomas on April 30, 2009, 08:18:22 AM
Rich,

There's the problem.  I'm talking On30; the ad is for HO.

JRT

Look at this link and read carefully.

http://www.micromark.com/bachmann-on30-locomotives-and-powered-equipment.html

Rich

James Thomas

Last time that I will comment.  There are no On30 4-4-0's listed in that ad with SOUND.

-JRT

richG

Quote from: James Thomas on April 30, 2009, 05:42:10 PM
Last time that I will comment.  There are no On30 4-4-0's listed in that ad with SOUND.

-JRT

Suite yourself but there are Forneys and Shays with sound. You cannot have everything. Sometimes you have to do the work yourself. Call it a learning experience.

Rich

boomertom

Sound does add another dimension and I do admit that I have had fun operating friends sound equipped consolidations and to be honest would love to have one.

Since I began this thread, Athearn has announce rd that it will begin adding Tsunami sound to its HO and N lines as well as the Roundhouse products
This should mean an expansion of sound equipped steam as well as diesels.

For me the problem remains that of affordability.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Yampa Bob

Check this out, off topic but interesting.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/index.php?p=1000gn.php
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

boomertom

Bob,

Not too far off topic in my opinion as it seems that sound is becoming more and more common, much like dcc has-. Which in theory should result in a lower inventory carrying cost for the various manufactures.

Unfortunately, I don't see a cost savings in the manufacturers stocking a single model filtering down to the consumer level.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

OkieRick

Check this out, off topic but interesting.[/i]

I'll follow you off topic a bit farther Bob.  The two links you had posted briefly indicates for $84.00 + s/h + speaker enclosure you could have DCC and Sound for an Athearn diesel.

Do you see any reason why it won't work with any other mfgr's diesels if you can make it fit?  I don't mean to include every diesel like old Tycos or $14.99 Model Powers (and others) but how about most any diesel with a circuit board in it?

...jus wunnerin...
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

I couldn't decide which link made the better point. My first thought was, "wow, here's a neat sound board for only $80", and like you said, this might work for any diesel, including Bachmann DC models.

I also thought, "why is the board listed as specific for Athearn when the prime movers are the same as the standard TSU-1000?" Then I reviewed the current listings at Caboose Hobbies and got a possible answer;  Athearn has over 500 diesel models including current, preorder and future releases, and most are DCC ready.

So...what's the point?  Someone recently wrote "change is inevitable, struggling is optional", and "resistance is futile". Therefore I offer an optional title for this thread:

"The demise of steam"  Face the facts, our beloved "Connie" is mostly history, and it possibly represented 50% of all steam model sales over the last 10 years. 

I will make a wild guess that diesel is outselling steam by at least 3 to 1. We have a few Connies and Roundhouse steamers, but have no plans for any more steam purchases. I can't "reminisce" about steamers as other members do, since I have no recollection of them.

Our roster is now 75% diesel, and by attrition may grow to 90% in a year or two.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

boomertom

Having been born in 1945 and growing up on the mainline of the Chesapeake & Ohio - one of the major coal roads and hence a hold out for steampower and  living 50 miles from Roanoke and the Norfolk and Western, the last operator of steam power, my sense of nostalgia is strong.

Nevertheless Bob, I do see your point relative to diesels. For many of us the diesels have been the most reliable locomotives we own. While my pre Spectrum Bachmann 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 looked good as did an N&W Y6b from AHM, they were not the best performers.

I will not chastise those who turn their collective noses up at any " infernal combustion" locomotive nor will I praise the steam and nothing but steam hobbyist.

With that thought in mind, maybe I have been incorrect in my feelings that steam sound is over priced, maybe that is a part of the normal cost for such models.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Jim Banner

Has anyone  tried the Digitrax Sound Bug?  Less than $50 MSRP and comes with a speaker.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Cooped

Quote from: Yampa Bob on May 01, 2009, 10:14:14 PM
I couldn't decide which link made the better point. My first thought was, "wow, here's a neat sound board for only $80", and like you said, this might work for any diesel, including Bachmann DC models.

I also thought, "why is the board listed as specific for Athearn when the prime movers are the same as the standard TSU-1000?" Then I reviewed the current listings at Caboose Hobbies and got a possible answer;  Athearn has over 500 diesel models including current, preorder and future releases, and most are DCC ready.

So...what's the point?  Someone recently wrote "change is inevitable, struggling is optional", and "resistance is futile". Therefore I offer an optional title for this thread:

"The demise of steam"  Face the facts, our beloved "Connie" is mostly history, and it possibly represented 50% of all steam model sales over the last 10 years. 

I will make a wild guess that diesel is outselling steam by at least 3 to 1. We have a few Connies and Roundhouse steamers, but have no plans for any more steam purchases. I can't "reminisce" about steamers as other members do, since I have no recollection of them.

Our roster is now 75% diesel, and by attrition may grow to 90% in a year or two.

The idea of 'the demise of steam' saddens me. Like Bob I have no recollection of the steam era to reminisce about, I'm only 35. What I do have though are lots of memories of playing with my Grandfathers collection of OO Hornby (I grew up in England) steam trains and numerous visits to preserved railways. My Grandfather basically embedded steam into me, and now I'm doing it with my son. My fondest memory was a day trip with my grandparents where we rode a 'steam special' from London to Scotland and back again being pulled by the A4 class 'Sir Nigel Gresley' (those of you unfamiliar with British steam are more likely to recognize it's sister 'Mallard'). Anyway, take a trip to any preserved railroad and people want to ride steam. I think (hope) modelling steam will be alive as long as the preserved railroads keep it so.

As for sound, personal preference, I like non-sound. Certainly helps on the budget also! I hope the non-sound versions are not discontinued, it would certainly reduce the number of locos I could buy if it was.
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on May 01, 2009, 10:14:14 PM

It would be most interesting to know the numbers, I would suggest that diesel is outselling steam by at least 8 to 1.

As you mentioned the large number of diesels that Athearn is producing note that Walthers ratio between steam and diesel.

The age  of the modelers of course is the deciding factor.  The local model railroad club as very few steam engines in relation to to diesel engines. Not that many of us who can remember steam engines vividly if at all.  I am lucky that I am Canadian as steam did survive a few more years.

Pacific Northern