What are these called and are they available?

Started by OkieRick, April 28, 2009, 08:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

What is this type motor called and are they available at a reasonable price?  This is an old GP38 (I think) I got off ebay - it lasted about a month before the gears (?) or whatever drives the truck & wheelset stripped out.

Thanks-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

jdvass

They are called pancake motors and are generaly used in less expensive older locomotives such as Life-Like and Tyco etc. I dont know if they are available from anywhere though. I've only seen them in these older loco's.

You may want to save the money you would spend on this motor and pick up an Athearn, Bachman or similar newer loco as they have all wheels powered and all pick up power from the track. They will run much better and will be much more reliable than these older pancake motored locos.

Frisco

I would agree that a new locomotive would be much better. If you do want to fix it though you could just buy one of the Life-Like GP38s(only $10 at Trainworld) and use it for parts.

adari

I have a few older engines. All of my older engines motors have broken. they brake after a while ayway you might as well buy a new engine.

rallygsc

Life like still makes those types of engines,

nothing personal, but they are junk, the motors with the plastic casing usually burn up, or slowly start to die,

tyco used a metal casing and the bad part was the plastic cover that held the motor armature usually got brittle and broke,

I agree with what was mentioned, find the chassis that will work by athearn or? and use it, if you want to save what you have.

look for older bachmann stuff from the late 70's to late 80's, and life like from the 80's till now.

Robertj668

I have that type of engine on my Bachmann Amtrak Engine. I am trying to rebuild it.  The engine has 3 drive wheels on it. I agree it is an dreadful engine but i cannot find a replacement Amtrack engine out there yet.
You folks say that this engine is still being used?
I wonder if it is available in 6 wheel drive?

Tylerf

Those locomotives are just about as cheap I quality as it gets, you could easily find a gp38 with 6 wheel drive and WAY more features than that. Bachmann even make some much nicer dcc on board gp38s that cost very little and will run much better.