News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Vs. Competition

Started by gsjcas, April 28, 2009, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsjcas

This is a message to show my appreciation for the team at Bachmann Trains.....and Especially Tom in Service....
I own an Empire and have many Bachmann products....Engines, Buildings, etc.  Over the years of my Railroading I have often heard people, including dealers, tell me who they thought was tops in their book for products, quality and performance. Kato is usually somewhere at the top of the list along with Life Like, Intermountain and others........I have never heard anyone tell me that they put Bachmann anywhere near the top of the list in those categories. I had two CSX Diesels that I thought did not run up to my expectations....I sent them to Tom in Service....He checked them out and replaced them with new engines...NO QUESTIONS ASKED...........
Well, I am here to testify that I have my share of problems with all products regardless of the brand.
I have never witnessed the kind of service I have continually received from the "Bachmann Team". These people are tops in my book......Their products are tops in my book....and I am pleased to say I will continue to build and add to my Empire with the Bachmann Name. As Long a s they continue to have people like Tom in Service, and their Service Manager, whom I have had the pleasure of dealing with more than once.....I will buy their products with Confidence and Pride. Their Steam Locos not only Look like the real thing....their Diesels likewise....But they also perform at the top of the list. I am retired from my own business with 36 years of Profitability.....and I can attest to everyone reading this note......"Service isn't everything.....It is the ONLY Thing."
It is readily apparent to me.....The Bachmann Team is a leader in this industry because they realize this fact. I am not Bias.....I am just a very satisfied customer with every facet of their business. I WOULD BE PROUD TO BE A DEALER WITH THIS COMPANY...
Mr. Bachmann, whomever you are, I hope you read this. and I sincerely hope the rest of the team gets to read this.
Please keep up the good work.....Trainmangs

BestSnowman

I agree with you, I'm just getting into model railroading since I was a kid so I came into the hobby with no brand name preference and with a little luck found a Bachmann DC set on ebay for a great price which got me started with them and I've been so happy that all of my active rolling stock is Bachmann Silver Series (I've got a couple of older plastic-wheeled pieces that are waiting eventual truck/wheel upgrades before being put back on the track) and all of my motive power is Bachmann.

With the exception of the Hogwarts Express I got for my wife (which has been getting a little better each time I fiddle with it), they have all performed excellently out of the box. Plus with a lifetime warranty of engines I know I'm safe buying Bachmann.

My only wish is that I had a bigger budget to devote to my model railroad... but their isn't much Bachmann can do about that.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

the Bach-man

Jim Banner

Bachmann also allowed many of us to get started in large scale model railroading with their affordable Big Hauler sets.  I still have my original battery operated, radio controlled Big Hauler 10-wheeler and a number of its later kin.  Thanks, Bachmann, for a summer hobby I would never have been able to afford without your help.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

When I got back into the hobby after a 25 year absence I purposely stayed away from the Bachmann line.  I still have my early Bachmann 2-8-0 purchased in 1975 which ran for 5 minutes before it stopped running.

I bought some BLI and Proto steam locomotives. The BLI engines are great running, good response when running slow. However the Proto Steam were all from their early runs which had no traction tires and also no electrical pickups in their tenders - they looked great but ran terribly.

I was given a Spectrum Connie. I was amazed at how good that engine runs. Like so many others I had stayed away from the junk brands.  Well I now have a few of each of the Bachmann Spectrum Steamers. Had a couple of duds but Bachmann replaced them without hesitation. 

I will stay primarily with the Bachmann Spectrum line, at least as long as they are producing what I am looking for. Their last offering the 0-4-0 is indeed a splendid little engine. Now if they would only produce the 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 I would without hesitation buy a few.
Pacific Northern

Rangerover

I can't add much to what's been said about Bachmann. I came back to this hobby about a year before retiring and I purchased Bachmann EZ Command and also half dozen or so Bachmann Diesel engines only one decoder went bad in 4 years. I own 4 steam engines, non are Bachmann, but I'm not done yet and my next purchase will be a Bachmann steam loco. I have 30 dcc loco's in all.

I fight and argue constantly with other MRR's on the other forum for Bachmann, received an email from another poster over there that suggested he and I should be paid by Bachmann for standing up for their quality and performance, especially EZ Command. Where some of these guys get their information from I don't know. The newest fight I had was a well known poster over there, who posted you can't consist with EZ Command in different heading configurations, one forward one backward. I posted the steps of how to do it.

Some MRR's think of Bachmann as a toy train dealer, well all I can say is OK, they do influence the youngsters with their Thomas The Tank line, but I think it's great, I had a love affair with model trains as a youngster starting back in the late 40's with a keyed wind up train I got for Christmas, I still remember it as well as the real steam loco's that came through town back then and always waiting to see the caboose at the end of the train as a youngster. I think it's great that Bachmann influences the youngsters!

I too appreciate the low cost of DCC equipped loco's that I personally know are a good quality product backed by their warranty.

Thank You Bachmann, if it weren't for you, some of us would not have returned to this wonderful hobby especially in retirement.

Loco Bill Canelos

Can't add much to the good words!   My railroad is still 100% Bachmann large scale motive power and rolling stock!   :) 8)
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

az2rail

I decided to leave G gauge, so I sold off all my Aristocraft. No sooner sold the last piece, and discovered a Bachmann 1:20.3 heisler. Now I have 7 Bachmann engines, and am working on some ON30 equipment.

I also had to return a shay. It was under warranty, and was returned fixed with-in 30 days.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Yampa Bob

Remember the old saying, "If you can't beat them, join them"?  The other forums have a slightly different philosophy, "If you can't beat them, bash them".   :D

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Once again Bob you are correct (which is why I rarely attend the MR forum). My first DCC engine was a Bachmann GP35 which was purchased on eBay for $35. I was very trepidatious about buying a Bachmann product as I thought of their products as toys...certainly nothing for the serious modeler. That little GP35 ran well and looked great (still does). My second engine was from an old 'tried-and-proven' company - Atlas. I found I just had to have a sound equipped, DCC, MP15DC switcher.
This is an early picture on my old layout and before relettering/weathering the unit. I should add this engine has performed extremely well under some very difficult environmental conditions as my layout is in our unheated, un-conditioned garage.

A change in layout and era left me wanting at least one American 4-4-0. I decided to take the plunge and purchase a Bachmann Spectrum American. Wow...what a difference! These engines are excellent runners with great sound. Mine impressed me so much that I purchased a second one! In short Bachmann is the locomotive for me and I thank them for producing an excellent product.   :-) Ray

"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 30, 2009, 11:42:47 PM
Remember the old saying, "If you can't beat them, join them"?  The other forums have a slightly different philosophy, "If you can't beat them, bash them".   :D

I was really surprised that the MRR Forum has a number of members who seem to do nothing but bash products. 

This surprised me since those manufactures are advertisers in what seems to be a diminishing quality magazine.  Content certainly seems to be shrinking.

But then again, if you allow bashing then you can not be accused of any type of favoritism.
Pacific Northern