Comparing power and track, NCE vs. EZ Commander

Started by engineerkyle, March 29, 2007, 08:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineerkyle

Hi All,

I got the new NCE Power Cab. My plan is to use it to upgrade from the Bachmann EZ Commander I've used and enjoyed for a few years.

In the documentation, NCE recommends a drop for every piece of track, stating, "Do not rely on rail joiners to handle 2 amps" or words to that effect. I don't fully understand that because I don't "get" electricity.

If my power is good now, and it is, with the 1 amp Bachmann system,  won't it be even better with 2 amps coursing thru the same circuit?

???

I guess I'm being proactively curious here, because I haven't even hooked up the power cab to the layout yet.

If fact, anyone with experience with these system could offer helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

EK

Tim

EK

It appears that NCE is being a bit overly careful, feeders do not have to be
closer than three feet.

Having said that you should make sure all your rail joints are tight.

The additional 1a of power will not make a difference, unless you increase the load on the circuit.

If you have a joint (Electrically) that is weak it will show up with increased load.

Hook your PowerCab at the same points that you had the E-Z command
if their are poor joints they will show up, and then you can fix them.

You should have no problems using the same wiring as with the E-Z Cmd.

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

engineerkyle

Quote from: Tim on March 29, 2007, 09:08:50 AM
EK

The additional 1a of power will not make a difference, unless you increase the load on the circuit.

If you have a joint (Electrically) that is weak it will show up with increased load.

What would increase the load? More Locos? Fewer Locos? Faster Locos?

Why would a weak link show up with an increased load? I would think that would mean more power for the link. Maybe that means more power seeking the ground?

See what I mean when I say I don't "get" it?

Thanks for your quick response Tim.  whether I understand it or not, this sounds like no big deal.

NelsOn-30

E K

A "poorly" connected rail joiner can create a resistance between the adjacent rails.

The basic electrical rule (Ohms law) is I=E/R.(Changed)
E=Voltage (pressure pushing the electricity)
I=Current (amount of electricity in amperes)
R= Resistance (amount of obstruction to electrical flow in Ohms)

This explains why a poor connection causes a voltage drop that can slow or even stop a locomotive.

Adequate power distribution through the layout is paramount to trouble free operation as there will be minimal voltage changes as locomotives move through the rail system.

Hope this helps or ask for more information.

Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

Tim

Ek

A poor conection at a rail joint acts like a resistor.

An analogy of a resistor is a pressure relief valve on a water or steam line.

At the input of the line is a given pressure lets say 2lb, in the line is a relief
valve (resistor) set for 1lb.

If you try to draw more than 1lb out of the line, the valve will open and release the excess pressure, limiting the pressure to 1lb.

Does this help you understand about poor connections ?

Tim Anders
Souderton. Pa

Terry Toenges

Sometimes, I just put a drop of Bachmann's conductive lube on a joint where I'm having a problem with a joiner.
I do this rather than risk messing up a piece of EZ Track by trying to get the old joiner off.
Feel like a Mogul.

NelsOn-30

Tim & Ek

Expanding on and adding to Tim's analogy.

Using the water analogy a resistance is the equivalent to a constriction in the line. The pressure after the constriction will be proportional to the flow.

With no flow the pressure on both sides of the constriction will be equal.

This is why you can not find unwanted resistance within electrical distribution using a voltmeter without having current flow involved.

Is everyone more confused or hopefully it's “I THINK I'VE GOT IT"

Nelson

engineerkyle

Quote from: Nelson on March 29, 2007, 11:59:14 AM
E K

A "poorly" connected rail joiner can create a resistance between the adjacent rails.

The basic electrical rule (Ohms law) is E=I/R.
E=Voltage (pressure pushing the electricity)
I=Current (amount of electricity in amperes)
R= Resistance (amount of obstruction to electrical flow in Ohms)

This explains why a poor connection causes a voltage drop that can slow or even stop a locomotive.

Adequate power distribution through the layout is paramount to trouble free operation as there will be minimal voltage changes as locomotives move through the rail system.

Hope this helps or ask for more information.

Yes, I think it does...

No maybe not.

So the EZ is 1 amp and the NCE is 2 amps, and the 2 amps are more likely to cause a voltage drop, which reveals a poor connection.

What part of Ohms law is represented by the extra amp?    I  ???

Wouldn't higher amps/constant resistance equal greater voltage?

NelsOn-30

E k

The voltage drop should be the same for both systems with the same load up to the 1 amp capacity.

It is only the NCE system that could experience a larger voltage drop only when more than 1 amp is moved through a faulty connection.

Is the mud getting any clearer? or?

Nelson

NelsOn-30

E k

Your reply pointed out a serious error in my quoting Ohms law. :o

It should have been I=E/R

sorry for the confusion. :'(
Nelson

engineerkyle

Now THAT makes sense...

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Hunt

Kyle,
Perhaps you may recall from the old board I am one of those who suggest power feeders to each piece of track and not soldering the rail joiners for those building a DCC layout. BUT since you have a layout in place running DCC with out problems,  then you do not need to do anything right now except remove the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center and properly attach the NCE command station. Expect you will only have problems in future if (when) the rail joiners become an electrical issue, if they ever do, before you build another layout.

Jake

I'm going to try to make this easy to understand fo a DCC newcomer, the reason they recommend a drop between every piece of track is because they are assuming you are using 3 ft. flex track, which may large layouts use, and basically on a large layout 3 feet is the most you want to go without a drop to a power bus. And the reason for the drops and the bus is, power first flows through the bus, up the feeders (drops), and to every joint between rails thus keeping electrical flow constant and second of all keeping a rail joint from heating up to much due to too much electrical flow and (don't forget this is safety exaggeration almost every american company is known for) potentially "causing damage to your layout." Once again, exaggeration, it is about a 1 in 1,000,000,000 that that will happen.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Hunt

Jake,
I disagree with all you post except for the fact one can easily find HO flex track in 3-foot length and the assumption "they" may be thinking of that when recommending the spacing between power feeders.

Seems you have a misconception of some information you have read.  What is the source of the information you wrote?