Can I lock my older Williams locomotives in Forward?

Started by rickbigs, May 03, 2009, 01:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickbigs

Joe / 3rail,
   Thanks for you time and suggestions.  Believe I'll just run it in regular mode for now, and use another engine for what I was trying to do.

Rick

phillyreading

What I have done to lock a Williams engine in forward is to remove the circuit board completely(in other words, gut the engine and put in only the bridge rectifier)and put in a 6 amp 50 volt or higher bridge rectifier and wire it straight from the center rail to one unmarked terminal on the rectifier and wire the ground or frame to the other unmarked terminal on the rectifier and wire the motors from the bridge rectifier negative and positive posts to the motors, be sure to keep the same colored wires together coming off the rectifier. Be sure you know which way the motors are going before you solder the connections if you do solder.
For lights you can wire them straight from the track pickup and use a 14 volt bulb from Radio Shack. Standard light bulbs don't care if it is A.C. or D.C. but not so if you are using newer low watt bulbs.

Lee F.

Westtexan

I have successfully used your published instructions to lock one engine with a Rev 4 board in forward only and it works great. 

I also need to do this to a slightly older GP-38.  The board looks similar to the Rev 4 board but it does not have the connectors on the board.  The wires from the motors are directly wired to the board nad not in connectors.  Also the resistor layout looks slightly different.  Is there a way to rework this board to lock it in forward, aside from the brute force method you mentioned earlier?

3rail

Dear West Texan,

The mod on that board IS NOT the same.  I am pretty sure it will result in a direct short.  I will check to see if we have the documentation on that board and post it if we do.

Regards,

3Rail