News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 44 Tonner N scale

Started by rlbenoitartist, May 03, 2009, 02:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCWORLD

It should run fine. DCC decoders will usually run in Some form of DC mode- though the functions will not be usable. If it doesn't, It should be simple enough to remove the decoder.
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

McRuss

Hello,

what kind of coupling is used on the 44ton switcher, and is it compatible with Microtrains or other knuckle couplers?

yours

Markus

TCWORLD

We are all in the dark about the coupling. I too am looking to convert. However having looked at pics (not the underside yet), I believe the generic MT 2004-1 coupling will be the best replacem,ent.
Tom

David Leonard

Victor Miranda posted a photo of the underside of the shell on the Atlas Forum, and it looks like the 2004 may be the best bet, as TCWORLD suggests. The problem will be whether the coupler box clears the truck frames.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/kv-ironworks/b-mann%2044-ton/PICT0089.jpg

TCWORLD

That's just the pic i needed to see. The answer is (from that pic) Yes, 2004 will work perfectly - the screw hole is near the back of the coupler on the 2004 so it will clear the internal parts fine. It may pertrude out the front of the shell, but it should look fine and be an adequite conversion.
Tom

skipgear

I don't think a 2004 is going to work. The 2004 is an underslug / offset shank. The stock coupler has no offset. You would need a 2003 which I believe is a 2004 box with 1015 parts in it. Also, the thickness of the coupler box may interfere with the latch on the front of the truck. It is all going to be trial and error for the most part.

The best answer would be a McHenry. The problem is you have to buy a car to get the couplers. I wish they would hurry up with replacement couplers. A shorter shank McHenry would be even better.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Railhead

Bachmann has hit a home run here with the N scale version of the GE 44 Tonner. I just picked up the red un-numbered & un-lettered model. The only problem I have with it is trying to decide what road number I want to put on it which is a good thing  ;D       They run great in DCC or DC as the DCC board installed will operate in either manner. This loco is a great buy with the pre-installed dual mode DCC board inside. If you buy either of the undec models (red or yellow) you have the option to use two different styles of light housings for the headlights. You can use either flush mount or the one with the hood. The light housings come pre-molded in the same color as the loco. If you do not want the Bachmann dummy couple and prefer something else, the Accumate couple will drop right in using the coupler box provided by Bachmann. If you want to use MicroTrains your going to run into a problem. Their's very tight clearance between the coupler box and trucks on the 44 Tonner. It might be possible to design some sort of adapter piece to mount to the body and provide clearance for the mounting of the MT but it will take some work to achieve this. The mounting surface on the body is not flat but a round pin with a hole in the middle for the screw for the coupler box to attach to. If you want to go the easy route then use a Accumate. Just the coupler and not the box that comes with it. Drops right in. The loco does great running at slow speeds and doesn't turn into a speed demon at higher speeds. It's amazing how well this loco runs without having any flywheels inside. Pulling power for this lil' sucker is also amazing provided that it's on flat & level track were it performs it's best.  I've yet to test this to the point of slippimg but have done some switching with two 50' box cars & two 53' bulkhead flats both with wood cast loads on them.  Did extremely well pulling & pushing these cars forwards & backwards without the slight hint of slipping doing yard switching. I saw a youtube video done by river eagle pushing & pulling nine covered hoppers...8 two bays & 1 three bay. The Bachmann GE 44 Tonner worked well here too.  Keep in mind that the prototype of this little loco didn't move large blocks of cars because of it size so keep that in mind if you decide to purchase one for yourself.  A lot of people think these GE 44 Tonners did nothing more than industrial switching but their were some railroads that used these for mainline road switcher duties but were still limited on what they did because of their size.  Want a great liitle switcher for your railroad......check this 44 Tonner out!

C855B

Absolutely. The excitement about this model (as evidenced on another discussion group) is astounding, with consistent thumbs-ups from many modeling experts. Sure, there are a few dimensions fudged to make it producible, but the overall effect is great.

The coupler question seems to have at least one resolution in the MTL 905, a Z-scale version. If your modeling skills are up to the task, it looks "right" and so far appears to work without creating interference problems with the trucks.

The only "you ought'a" I have for Bachmann is the need for this model in completely undecorated, i.e., bare plastic. As it is, when my yellow-unnumbered versions arrive, they're going to find themselves reposing in a stripper bath so I can repaint for my particular targets. Since this little "critter" is as close to everyman's locomotive as you're going to get, I would hazard a guess that it has to be the one locomotive with the most paint schemes ever seen in a prototype, from Class I's to the little gravel quarry down the street.

A winner, indeed. [applause]

brokemoto

Mine is still in the break-in phase, but the first impressions  are pretty good.  It appears that the slow speed control will be good, once it is properly broken in.  It does not stall on plastic frog switches at slow speed, which is another plus.

It appears that Bachmann had addressed eighty-per-cent of the coupler height problems from the FM roadswitcher and the USRA heavy 4-8-2.  Still, I am going to try an AccuMate or the Z scale conversion that someone posted on One Of Those Other Forums. 

Once it is properly broken in, I will try the loaded MT gondolas on the one-per-cent grade test.  Still, eight or nine cars on straight and level should be allright, as I suspect that such is about the limit for the prototype.

Someone did note that the hood width appeared to be a bit out of scale, so that the mechanicals could be accomodated.   The appearance, overall,  is good.  My FNSLHS had only the NYNH&H left, so I bought it.  I can always repaint it for the non-historic.  The McGuiness paint scheme on it appears to be properly done.   All things considered, this appears to be a good model of a prototype that N scale needed.   Many of us chose N scale because we have so little space.  While there has been all sorts of larger power available for years, it is only recently that decent smaller power has become available. 

More later, but my initial impressions of this one is that it is a winner.  They appear to be leaving the store shelves before the personnel can put them onto same shelves. 

Has Bachpersonn considered using this mechanism, or a slightly modified version of it, for the Brill trolley?

Allamuchy Joe

"Has Bachpersonn considered using this mechanism, or a slightly modified version of it, for the Brill trolley?"

Or could you use this mechanism for a GE 70 Tonner? That would be a nice addition, too.

TCWORLD

Tom

C855B

Quote from: Allamuchy Joe on June 10, 2009, 12:22:11 PMOr could you use this mechanism for a GE 70 Tonner? That would be a nice addition, too.

The 70-tonner's wheelbase is 2' longer than the 44. On a locomotive that small the proportion difference would be fairly noticeable.

I just received my "nameless" yellow version. Amazing model, amazing runner. Quietest loco I own. For comic effect I lashed it up to a cut of 4 86' Hi-Cube auto parts cars and it moved them effortlessly. The prototype couldn't have done that!  ;D

fieromike

The Mc Henry coupler is the easy fit answer to the coupler question, however the  MT 905 coupler has a shorter shank.  To install the 905, cut the back off of the coupler box (carefully!).

Pictures:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=110068

Frank C

I received mine today. Beautiful. Thank you Bachmann.

Frank

brokemoto

Dear Mr. Bach-Man:

Please tell your superiors to consider manufacturing this thing without its decoder.  Many of us do not use DCC.  This thing is an excellent creeper on straight DC (or as 'straight' as recitified DC can be), and all this without pulse or flywheels.  Removal of the decoder would also allow for extra weight both to increase pulling power and improve electrical contact.

Thank you.  This is an excellent locomotive and a prototype that N scale has needed for some time.