News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dear Bachmann: Brake Van!

Started by Cheeky_ULP, May 03, 2009, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Sparks on July 01, 2009, 10:44:17 PM
1). Bachmann would save money in developing two engines, for the price of a bit more than one: Donald and Douglas are twin engines, with MINOR differences. Basically all that Bachmann would do is make Donald, take the model and make a second pair, change the face to Douglas' face, change the paint work to sport Douglas' nameplate and "10" on his tender, and you have two engines! Quicker profit!

Well, everyone says that, but I have to agree and disagree with that. Yeah sure, making a totally new engine would cost more than having 2 of pretty much the same parts, and chassis and what not, but they would also have to make double the chassis' for those two engines, and also the wheels, the body, and all that other stuff. So, I'm just saying its very profitable, but you have to spend about double the money for chassis'.

Santa Fe buff

Um, your thinking of something, and I don't think it's clear. It's not two different engines, to the maker, it's one engine with two road numbers. Like a GP40 for GTW available for two different numbers. It's just more paint and having to design the style that might make it cost more. Overall, the body and chassis for both locomotives can still be made at the same factory, and can be interchangeable. You understand what I'm saying? :)

Joshua

*clap clap clap* I like this topic.

EDIT: Sparks had the right idea.
- Joshua Bauer

Michigan Railfan

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I don't know what I was thinking :P

James The Red Engine

Quote from: Chaz on July 03, 2009, 02:50:20 AM
Quote from: SmokeyNSteamer on July 03, 2009, 01:14:49 AM
You all have a point---

If the twins were sold together, and one twin broke down, you'd have to buy a duplicate of the other (non-broken) twin as well.

Maybe Bachmann can sell the twins BOTH together and separately...wait, that'd be too expensive...would it?

Heck, Hornby didn't even do that will Bill and Ben and Arry and Bert.  And those two sets of twins are usually packed together in take along and wooden ranges (Lionel too for Arry and Bert).  Never have I seen a Donald and Douglas packaging together. 

You got a point there Chaz old boy.  Sure, some of us would like to see the twins sold together, but it would be a pain in the arse to work with and then you got the $ issue there both for the company to package it and for the buyer to purchase it.  I myself think they should be sold separate.  Now if a set was made, I'd say there would be a good idea, but it's all up to Bachmann Trains what they want to do.  :)

shining time

i agree with you  james the red engine they should be sold separately and together if a set was made
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

Santa Fe buff

Yet, is it really that hard to save up for both and just pay a little more shipping. If they were sold together, you'd still pay for each engine, maybe a tad more too. It's a great idea to sell them as a set, but I don't think that's much of a working idea unless it was for a train set with a few cars and E-Z Track. Not to mention the DC controller. That might work, other than that, I think separate is a clear choice.

Any arguments?

The set could be called "Donald and Douglas' Big Haul" I'll give Bachmann all rights to use that if they wish, not likely, but just to be sure... ;)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

shining time

that is true but also it would probably be a big set
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

Santa Fe buff

Yeah, it would. I was thinking about something like Bachmann's E-Z Commander sets, two locomotives and a couple of freight cars. For the Thomas line, minus the E-Z Commander, plus the DC controller. If it is a big set, perhaps a set for each locomotive, which again, doesn't really help the idea of combining them. Also, I'm not sure if that will work out for Bachmann...

Wow, you know, we've laid a lot of facts down, now I'm going to research into the company more, see if this whole idea of new engines really would help them out.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Cheeky_ULP

I did all this fact and research to give Bachmann themselves a hint. :P

However I wouldn't be surprised if Donald and Douglas were released together in a loop set.

Santa Fe buff

Okay, that makes sense. So I guess it might be a good idea. How about a post from the Admin?

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

goldwing

I heard that Hornby might make them later this year or even next year, might be fake, the the hornb borad adminitrator ( like the bachmann) said that its very possible. So is that bad or good?
Later.
Ok, so I return after 3 years, and guess what, I have no railways. FAIL

panniertankboy8751

Bad for us guys who live in the US. If hornby makes them, then we can't get them. They're only available in the UK. Unless you're a big enough moron to shop from Ebay. (DUH, DUH, DUHHHHHH)

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: panniertankboy8751 on July 07, 2009, 03:37:35 PMUnless you're a big enough moron to shop from Ebay. (DUH, DUH, DUHHHHHH)
Explain, because you sound very oblivious. :P

jettrainfan

Quote from: panniertankboy8751 on July 07, 2009, 03:37:35 PM
Bad for us guys who live in the US. If hornby makes them, then we can't get them. They're only available in the UK. Unless you're a big enough moron to shop from Ebay. (DUH, DUH, DUHHHHHH)

They could ship them to the US, cost a good amount but possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account