Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dear Bachmann: Brake Van!

Started by Cheeky_ULP, May 03, 2009, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectPercy

Quote from: thomas' #1 fan on December 19, 2010, 02:25:13 AM
Quote from: PerfectPercy on December 19, 2010, 01:08:44 AM
I'm just gonna throw this out there: you can edit your posts so that there isn't a triple posts. Use the "modify" button.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote from: branmas on December 11, 2010, 10:14:50 PM
Quote from: Sparks on July 01, 2009, 10:44:17 PM
2). They're recognized by the youth and are pretty popular engines among Thomas fans in general. Hornby hasn't beaten Bachmann to making Donald and Douglas either, so Bachmann has the entire market for the UK (and Australian?) market who buys from Ebay and other websites that ship oversea.
hornby tock over Australia, unfortunately.

It isn't possible that Hornby took over the Australian market in terms of distributing Donald and Douglas models because they haven't even been created yet. If Bachmann were to make the twins sooner than later, which is probably the case for the upcoming year, they would be unbeatable in the marketing and distribution of the Scottish Twins.

I'm only 9, so i don't know what that means!
[move][move][move][move][move][move][move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move] ::) :P ???

Again with the posting 3 times in a row when you can make it one post... but anyways:

Donald and Douglas haven't been created by any modelling company yet, so if Bachmann creates them first, then they have a chance to be the main sellers of Donald and Douglas.

branmas

my thomas looks pretty much like the improved one you showed, only it looks its got a lazy eye. :(

fighter4luv

I agree on the weight part, kinda... I mean, I liked how I used Thomas as a back engine to help Edward up a hill in my latest YouTube video - and Edward couldn't actually get up my hill while hauling 2 trucks, a wagon and a brake van.

If they make the engines too heavy (powerful), you won't be able to do fun stuff like that - PLUS even in the original TV show - they used wire to haul the engines up Gordon's hill - even when they weren't pulling a train (Percy running backwards away from Gordon has wire attached to his back to make sure he didn't slip during filming.

The one thing I agree with totally are the faces. I know that the licensor has full control over what is produced, but I would really love to see the faces look more like the ones from the original series (original 2 or the more recent ones - before CG).

Also, more interchangeable faces (different emotions for each engines) would be awesome!

Cheeky_ULP

The opposite is actually true; if an engine is too light, it can't haul a decent load.

fighter4luv

Quote from: Sparks on January 07, 2011, 07:13:36 AM
The opposite is actually true; if an engine is too light, it can't haul a decent load.
I know. If I put the most slightest pressure of a finger on them while they're trying to get up a hill, they seem to move more... but I was just testing James out and he couldn't even pull Annie and Clarabel up a very low hill... while Thomas could... :/ I hope my James model isn't stuffed... coz he couldn't even pull one composite coach up the same low angle hill...

Cheeky_ULP

A good idea is to run your engines in for about an hour backwards and forwards to get them used to running. There's little space in James' cab for liquid weights (and I mean little).

TheJJ

Getting back to the breakdown train, I feel they will announce it for 2011 because they want to make a better one than Hornby. And knowing Bachmann they could make one better.

PerfectPercy

Quote from: Sparks on January 07, 2011, 07:18:05 AM
A good idea is to run your engines in for about an hour backwards and forwards to get them used to running. There's little space in James' cab for liquid weights (and I mean little).

Liquid, eh? What do you mean by that???

I used lead weights and electrical-taped them together. There is a small space on the top of his motor in the center to put a very very small weight, but in the cab, there is a decent amount of room. I'm almost happy that Bachmann didn't give James a true cab. ::) :P

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: PerfectPercy on January 08, 2011, 09:40:47 PM
Quote from: Sparks on January 07, 2011, 07:18:05 AM

Liquid, eh? What do you mean by that???

I used lead weights and electrical-taped them together. There is a small space on the top of his motor in the center to put a very very small weight, but in the cab, there is a decent amount of room. I'm almost happy that Bachmann didn't give James a true cab. ::) :P
Liquid lead. It's  sometimes used in models to add to the weight, less common though.

Cheeky_ULP

Post moved to new thread

thomasj219

Very well reasoned, cat wait until you "Go West" Hopefully BACHMANN will do the same soon. ;)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

PasqualeCS96

What you said about the brakevan being one piece is actually false. I was bored one day so I decided to take apartmy brake van to see if I could make a better chassis, the cab actually does come off, it is snapped into place you can take it out and put it back with no problem. Without the cab it makes a fine flatbed. ;)

Cheeky_ULP

That's interesting. The brake van the club had seemed to be one piece (as in the body, not the chassis). I'll have to look into that some more.

Also, thanks Thomasj219.  :)

This thread is now being archived.

Cheeky_ULP

Reopening this thread, but I will not be retyping my Duck post.

Dear Admins

I would like to know why my Duck thread, along with Simons model review thread, were deleted. It really feels right now that the input we've contributed isn't being valued. I just dunno what else to say right now.

It's stressing to know that formal threads with input, critique, and suggestions for the company are valued below threads about role playing unrelated to the product line.

Cupix the Azelf

Quote from: Sparks on July 01, 2009, 10:44:17 PM
Reposting here so it doesn't get lost in the Wishlist Topic

Donald and Douglas the Twin Engines

Here we see the pair of twins sitting together idly at Brendam Docks yards.

So lets cut down to it, why should Bachmann make Donald and Douglas next? First let me cut off the question of "What about those engine retoolings you said?" The engine retooling suggestions were never said to be of any date. However I would not be surprised if they were done for 10 Years of Bachmann, 65 Years of Thomas or whatever reason. Now then, back to Donald and Douglas...

These are a popular pair of engines among nostalgic fans and newer fans alike, and been around since Season 2. But why do them next instead of say Duck, or a more recent character like Rosie? Well, we did just have Emily, Spencer and Salty recently, so maybe we should go back the the pre HiT/Gullane era. As for Duck though, well, you'll read why Donald and Douglas will be more favorable engines.

In recent years, Donald and Douglas have been heard of less, but recently returned in episodes like "Saved You," and "Gordon and the Engineer." But they've also been in many of the episodes re-released on DVD from VHS tapes, and their Season 6 and 7 episodes "Twin Trouble" and "Bad Day at Castle Loch."

So, lets look now at what makes these two engines profitable.

1). Bachmann would save money in developing two engines, for the price of a bit more than one: Donald and Douglas are twin engines, with MINOR differences. Basically all that Bachmann would do is make Donald, take the model and make a second pair, change the face to Douglas' face, change the paint work to sport Douglas' nameplate and "10" on his tender, and you have two engines! Quicker profit!

2). They're recognized by the youth and are pretty popular engines among Thomas fans in general. Hornby hasn't beaten Bachmann to making Donald and Douglas either, so Bachmann has the entire market for the UK (and Australian?) market who buys from Ebay and other websites that ship oversea.

3). Donald and Douglas are based on the 812 Class, which has been shown to be recognized among real modelers. People who would want a RTR Caledonian 812 Class could cheaply buy Donald and or Douglas, do some detailing up and modifications, and have their engine in no time!

4). To anyone wondering why I didn't say Bill and Ben...
Bill and Ben are smaller engines, so developing a working chassis for them with their small size, and getting them to pull a heavy load would be a bit more frustrating than making an easy 0-6-0 Chassis for Donald and Douglas.

5. Speaking of Chassis, Donald and Douglas' chassis could in fact be REUSED for another engine, Duck the Great Western Engine. In the TV Series, the three engines seem to appear to use the same Chassis, right down to drive wheel size, space, and all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if right after Donald and Douglas were made, Duck was announced and used the same chassis. That's an even better money saver! Just reuse the chassis and make the body for Duck.

Conclusion:
With the economy in a money crunch right now, Donald and Douglas would be a fairly good pair of engines to make. It's almost a shortcut for the company to make and sell more engines at a cheaper price! These twin engines provide large opportunities for the market ahead of them, take the advantage! They even provide development advantages for the two of them, and plans for Duck. Why avoid that?  ;)

Your wish has ben granted~ ;D
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.