News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Shay Gears

Started by Raccoon Creek Lumber Co., May 21, 2009, 06:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raccoon Creek Lumber Co.

Good morning from the UK. I was disappointed to find that one of my three baby Shays had developed splits in all four of the driveshaft cogs that mesh with the wheels. I contacted the spares department of Bachmann's UK office and found them to be very helpful. However, they were unable to supply just the driveshafts with the cogs on each end, only complete truck assemblies which I have ordered at £15.00 each. I understood from other enthusiasts that these split gears on the Shay were a recognised problem and that an improved overhaul kit was available, but the spares people knew nothing of it. Am I mistaken in thinking that this is a common problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

ossygobbin

yes it is a common problem.
never heard of an improved overhaul kit.

Hobojohn

You have hit THE weak  point of Bachmann industries: hardly no spare (On30) parts available.
]It is about time to mention that here loud and clear.
You have created beautiful On30 models, your customers are buying them
Mr Bachmann, when do you create a solution for MUCH NEEDED spare parts?

I imagine the China factories have boxes and boxes and boxes and......of the parts
Why not have the most needed at hand in The USA,  England and Germany? There must be some room in those big seacontainers to ship them along.
Bet we as customers are all willing to pay for the cost of parts.
With European manufacturers like ROCO, Fleischmann it is one of their major goals to have parts around to keep their trains running. Above all: to keep their customers motivated to buy their products over and over again. 
One split gear with an (ON30) Bachmann train often means: desillusion and parking the train on the scrap track.
It happened with one of my On30 railtrucks. and now -in England- with your beautiful shays. If only this is the top of an iceberg.............

John Baron
Netherlands.

Hobojohn

It seems that North West Short Lines comes up shortly with replacement (steel) gears for both HO Shay and HO Climax.

John Baron

tac

Quote from: Hobojohn on June 03, 2009, 02:11:18 AM
It seems that North West Short Lines comes up shortly with replacement (steel) gears for both HO Shay and HO Climax.

John Baron

I bet THEY are not £15.

tac
www.ovgrs.org