News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to a 2-10-2

Started by taku, May 05, 2009, 12:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taku

What is recommended for adding sound to a Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-2?
I would like to run it on DC and DCC.

Jim2903

I'm planning to put a Tsunami in mine.
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

rustyrails

Most decoder manufacturers and after-market installers have web sites that are crammed full of info.  Try soundtraxx.com , digitrax.com , and tonystrains.com for starters.  Hope this helps.
Rusty

Rangerover

Here listen to some sound samples, pick what suits you and fits the loco.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/index.php?p=tsunamisound.php

Chuck S

Hi taku,

Try this link, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8744.0.html 

I paid a little over $100 USD for the setup, but the sound is fantastic.

Best of luck,

Chuck S

Chris350

I am a huge fan of Tsunami.  Add to that the fact that Bachman and Athearn are using them as OEM and it's hard t go wrong.  Sound is very high quality, and very controllable using their built in equalizer.  Motor control is very good.  A word of advise though, they may need a booster to program on a program track and to get the full benefit of all functions you need to use an advance throttle such as a Digtrax DT 400 or comparable.  They are a step about entry level to be sure but very good.  Sounds are preloaded, so you have to be sure you choose the appropriate decoder.  Each one has a selection of horns and such.  A second favorite of mine is ESU Loksound because the decoder is generic, and you upload custom sound files to them.  This requires access to a Lokprogrammer, but most Loksound dealer have them in shop or close at hand. Very good speed control, usually will program with out a program booster.  The downside is Loksound sound files are proprietary  I'm watching the development of Digtrax soundbug technology, since it will interface with JMRI Decoder pro, a freeware computer program for decoder setup and much much more.  Decoder Pro will upload Soundbug sound files.  The catch is there are not many available yet as they are user generated.

Yampa Bob

A reminder to all; user installed Soundtraxx Tsunami have "Alternate Power Source" (DC operation) disabled. You will need a DCC controller capable of changing CVs to enable analog operation.

Bachmann locomotives with factory installed sound decoders will run on DC out of the box, just like their non-sound DCC models.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ebtbob

Taku,

I too,  am a Tsunami sound fan.   One thing to remember,  though,  is the Tsunami decoders give you great speed control,  especially at slower speeds.   
        When you think of an engine as big as a 2-10-2,  and if you are thinking of using a Tsunami decoder,  I want you to be aware of one thing.
The Tsunami heavy steam sound may not be to your liking.    If you could hear the medium steam and heavy steam at the same time without knowing which was which,  I suspect you would pick the medium as heavy and vica versa.    The heavy steam Tsunami has a sticatto sound like a NKP Berkshire,  while the medium steam actually sounds like a heavier chuff.   
        It would be to your benefit to try to hear the sounds before making a decision.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

taku

Thanks to everyone for the input.   (I did go to the Tsunami site to listen to the different decoders)
I will let you know how it goes.  I'm excited about doing the install.

mdtell

I added an MRC sound unit to my 2-10-2 and now the headlight and rear light don't work.  I've pressed Function 0 to no avail.  The lights did work before I plugged in the MRC unit.  Any ideas as to what is wrong?

rustyrails

If you plugged in the decoder backwards, the lights will not work.  The orange wire is on the #1 pin.  On the socket, there should be a painted dot or arrow or some other mark to indicate where the #1 pin goes.  Hope this helps.

Rusty

mdtell

Thanks Rusty.  I tried reversing the plug for the sound unit and got no sound.  I turned the plug around and everything works except the front and rear lights.  I even tried reversing the wires from the circuit board to the lights and that did not work either.

rustyrails

Okay....we'll try again.  Make sure that CV29 is programmed to a value of 6 (six).
Rusty

taku

Quote from Yampa Bob
"A reminder to all; user installed Soundtraxx Tsunami have "Alternate Power Source" (DC operation) disabled. You will need a DCC controller capable of changing CVs to enable analog operation.
Bachmann locomotives with factory installed sound decoders will run on DC out of the box, just like their non-sound DCC models."

I did not know that when I just picked up my Tsunami decoder the other day...    I want to be able to run on DC & DCC but do not have a DCC system that I can program CV's on yet.    Hmmmmm    Is there anybody out there in southern wisconsin that can do a quick CV change for me once I'm done with the install? 

Yampa Bob

Taku,
You might search for a model railroad club in your area. Here is a list of clubs in Wisconsin.

http://www.cwrr.com/nmra/Cluba-SZ.html#WI

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.