Measuring rolling stock weight

Started by richG, May 05, 2009, 08:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Before I entered a career as a psychologist, I was a high school chemistry/physics teacher. Just about every student entered my class terrified about the metric system. I told them in my class, for the academic year, we would keep the apples with the apples - and the oranges with the oranges...in other words, we would NOT convert between the two measuring systems (there are lots of devices/charts that can assist you with that task). My students became very proficient in metrics and realized the value of a system of measurement in base 10.

In 1970 I purchased a Land Rover 88 HTD (a real Land Rover...the kind they no longer sell in the U.S.). This vehicle required three kinds of wrenches and sockets: SAE, metric, and Whitworth! Working on the old girl was always interesting. I had that vehicle for 13 years and put on something like 260,000 miles - only [reluctantly] selling her when the frame became terminal. Moving between the three systems of measurement was easy as long as I didn't try to convert from one to the other.

Just my two cents (or its equivalent in euros),
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"