New style sets with Davenport 1:20.3 switcher hidden under the radar!!

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, May 05, 2009, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Green

samevans

Quote from: Larry Green on June 03, 2009, 11:59:26 AM
Sam, did you get my email?

Larry

Yes, I sent you a reply yesterday at 18.16 local UK time.

Best

Sam E

andyb

Are there any plans to bring these sets out as a 'train pack' ie without track?

This would be really helpful for those who use OEM rather than Bachmann track - and save a considerable weight  when ordering through the mail system...

Loco Bill

Hi Andy,  I do not represent Bachmann in any way, but my guess would be no.  I say this because you can already buy the individual items without the pack or track. 

To me the advantage of the set is the super low cost, as I mentioned in one of the above posts.  The lower cost of the set over the individual items should offset any savings on postage, if you are in the US.

If you don't mind listing on Ebay, You should be able to get $14 to $35 for the track and transformer further increasing your savings.  I will buy two sets and sell the track on Ebay in the three months before christmas so as to get the best price. I always sell my excess G Scale items either on Ebay or at my local train show in the months before christmas.

Happy railroading!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

andyb

I take your point about the super low cost of the sets, Bill and the fact that the loco and trucks are available as separates (at higher individual cost of course). (you know there's a 'but' coming...)

I still think Bachmann may be missing a trick (read 'marketing opportunity') here - I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to purchase a train set without the track or power pack- in my case because I need/desire the train but not the rest.

And living as I do in the UK and not having a G gauge supplier in town means usually buying on the internet (usually from the US) and subsequently the weight/postage/shipping charge has to be watched carefully (esp with £-$ currency exchange rates recently).

For example - Ray at 'The Favourite Spot' (where I frequently shopped) went through a phase of selling trackless sets (The Lionel O scale 'Polar Express' was an example - Loco and coaches only) - I'm sure he wouldn't have bothered if there wasn't a potential market for this.

If one already has a layout using say LGB or Aristocraft or other non-Bachmann track, who wouldn't be tempted by a sensibly priced Davenport and three truck train pack to add to the layout? (by 'sensibly priced', I mean of course a substantial discount on buying the four items together.

It doesn't have to be restricted to the Davenport of course... Thomas and Annie and Clarabel would be another example of a favourite Loco/train combi...

Any thoughts on  this Mr Bach-man?

Loco Bill

Andy I suspected you might not be living in the US, but there was no info in your profile.  I can see why you would want the sets without the track. The Bach man may be willing to pass on your ideas, Hopefully he will respond!!

Good Luck!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

the Bach-man

Dear Andy,
You'd be more likely to find or negotiate a bundle price from a dealer- I doubt that we would double the SKUs
to offer the same set twice.
Have fun!
the Bach-man