News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

metal hand rails

Started by mudzuks, May 06, 2009, 12:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudzuks

Hi, I notice that the new g scale passenger cars feature metal hand rails, do the kits for these also feature metal hand rails. also are there now or ever going to be spectrum passenger cars?

Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

So far all the new passenger cars I have seen which have the track powered lighting also have metal handrails.   The kits are advertized as having track power lighting and I suspect but cannot guarantee the cars will probably also have the metal handrails. 

Hopefully the Bach man or other viewer can let us know for sure!!

As for Spectrum passenger cars only the Bach man knows ;D
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mudzuks

Thanks for your reply I would assume so also. I just don't want to get bit by the bean counter lets save a penny on this kit mentality and get plastic hand rails when I was expecting metal, really my only complaint about the bachmann cars I have right now is the flimsy always bent plastic handrails, of coarse if I were not  so lazy I guess  I could fab my own.

Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

Jeff, I was hoping the Bach man would reply and let us know for sure, but he must be off in some choo choo land somewhere!!

Couldn't agree more on how much better the metal handrails are.

I wish Bachmann would make metal handrail sets for aftermarket sale.  They already make the handrails.  How tough would it be to package them up for sale as a seperate item!!

Maybe the Bach man will suggest it for us.  I would buy five sets right away!!

I have the making of my own metal handrails on my work list, but it is pretty low priority.   

I did buy some metal handrails for the tank cars directly from Bachmann,  the price was reasonable.  You could try them and see about the passenger ones.   If you do try it let us know how you make out.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

Trackside Details makes metal replacement handrails for the Bachmann coaches. I forget how much they cost, but I do recall them being a bit on the pricey side (compared to their other details). They're not hard to make yourself, though. I make mine from 16" brass tube hammered flat along the top, then drilled at the appropriate parts for the other two vertical supports, also made from 1/16" brass tube. A small pin and a bit of solder holds things together nicely.

And I echo the call for a 1:20 passenger car. How about a nice 13-window board-and-batten coach? Those were very common (with subtle variations) on many narrow gauge lines.

Later,

K

the Bach-man

Dear All,
There are no new passenger cars in the works as far as I know.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

mudzuks

Thanks everyone I think I am going to contact bachmann about the hand rails, but I love the look of those mods I am going to also try my to copy that. thanks for the pics

Thanks
jeff

andyb

Kevin, where did you get the brake wheel and detailing from?

Looks really cool!

Andy

Kevin Strong

The brake wheel, ratchet and pawl, and bracket underneath the frame came from Ozark Miniatures.

Later,

K

andyb

Thanks Kevin - I'll go see what they got

regards

Andy

grumpy

St. Aubin station Have some kits available that you may be able to build a 13 window car from
Don