News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Renumbering a Loco

Started by jonathan, May 06, 2009, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Hello,

I have ordered two H16-44 B&O Locos.  They will both be numbered 928.  I would like to double-head these from time to time.  So....  From previous threads, I have read that Bachmann paints or stamps their numbers instead of using decals.  I have also read that these numbers can be removed using an ordinary pencil-type eraser.  Can it really be that simple?

Before I make a mess of a perfectly good engine, I need to read it from someone who has actually performed this procedure... or a better way if there is one.  I believe I can get a dry transfer sheet from my LHS.  Thinking about changing one engine to #927 since there actually was a B&O 927 once upon a time.

Many thanks for your time and advice.

S,

Jonathan

rustyrails

jonathan,
I haven't done this in a long time, given that most manufacturers produce most engines with multiple road numbers....however, I have done it.  I have always used a Q-tip moistened (not soaked) with rubbing alcohol.  If you use an eraser, make sure it is a soft one, like a pink pearl and rub gently.  I would use dry xfers for the new number.  If you use a decal, you'll need to get some setting solution (like Solvaset) and flat finish (like Dulcote) to kill the decal sheen after it dries.  You might want to consider removing all three digits...it's easier if you don't have to match the existing numbers exactly.  Hope this helps.
Rusty
PS  The B&O renumbered all its locomotives in 1956 and your engines were numbered in the low 6700's in the new scheme--I think.  B&O's numbering and classification system always seemed pretty arcane to me.   

Johnson Bar Jeff

Rustyrails' Q-tip method has always worked well for me. Just remember to rub gently and take your time, or you'll take paint off along with the number.

jonathan

Thanks, guys, I'll give it a shot.  Will let you know how it turns out.

S,

Jonathan

ebtnut

If the alcohol doesn't work, there is a product called "Goof-Off" that works in most cases.  It can usually be found at most hardware and home improvement stores in the paint section.  Again, use a moist Q-tip and rub gently.  You don't want the base color paint coming off too.

Chris350

Quote from: ebtnut on May 06, 2009, 05:02:03 PM
If the alcohol doesn't work, there is a product called "Goof-Off" that works in most cases.  It can usually be found at most hardware and home improvement stores in the paint section.  Again, use a moist Q-tip and rub gently.  You don't want the base color paint coming off too.

mmm Goof Off, a lovely concoction of chemicals ending in -ene...  it does what it advertises though.  I suspect if you use this you want to be careful that you not remove the base paint and also not melt the plastic shell....
If you chose to use a wet decal as opposed to dry transfers, a good thing to remember they adhere better to a gloss finish than a matte finish.  So it helps to apply a small patch of clear gloss where the number are going to go, then after they are set, a coat of flat or matte can be applied to seal them in and kill the shiny spot.

Yampa Bob

I changed the number on my Spectrum 2-8-0 UP from 618 to 613 by carefully removing a small portion of the 8 with a tiny flat blade screwdriver.

You could do the same by painting over the portions with engine black if #923 is appropriate for your locomotive.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Woody Elmore

Back in the good old days before freight cars were offered with various numbers, it was common to get a very, very fine paintbrush and a little white paint. You could make a 9 or O an wight. It was easy to alter the numbers. a little well placed weathering would hide any imperfection.

Yampa Bob

I have 8 coal hoppers, all with the same road number.  Know what? I don't care.  :D

Of course I have different road numbers on my locos, that way I won't have any derails. Just kidding.

We see hundreds of coal cars here in the valley. Most of the numbers aren't legible.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jonathan

Just picked up a copy of the latest Bachmann catalog.  They have renumbered the FM H16-44 B&O to 927!  I think Mr. B was tuning in.

My wallet hurts.

R,

J

SteamGene

I have used the pencil eraser trick several times with Bachmann steam.  In fact,  I bought one of the all eraser pencils for the job.  Remember that it works just like Ogden Nash's catchup bottle.."...first a little/And then a lottle."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Robertj668

Jonathan

Did you do it yet?  Would love to see pictures.  I have the bushman Spectrum Heavyweight passenger cars and I have two of the 810.  I want to change one of them.  Though I do not think the HO passengers will car that much!

Robert

jonathan

Haven't done it, yet.  I'm in the middle of engine maintenance and coupler conversion.  Renumbering is next.  At some point I have to get back to scenery.  I'm burnt out from planting over 313 trees so far.  When I renumber it I will attach a couple of photos... even if I botch it royally.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK.  I've managed to get the '8' off the 928.  I'm desperately trying to insert an image or two.  "Insert image" isn't working for me.  Anyway, the eraser wasn't working, neither was alcohol, but for some reason, my  wife's finger nail polish remover was spot on.  I dipped a toothpick in the evil solution, removed most, and gently rubbed the number.  Think drybrushing with a toothpick.  Took about 10 minutes per number.  There's still a little residue, which I can only see with a camera.  Isn't that weird.  When I figure out how to upload a photo.  I'll do it if interested.  Thanks.

R

Jonathan

jonathan

Ladies and gents,

I am now learning more than I hoped:  photography, uploading, posting, and paint removal.  If I did it wrong I apologize.  As you can see I'm nearly done removing the number "8" on both sides I have uploaded five images that were clear enough to see my progress.  On the extreme close up, check out the piece of ground foam inside the truck.  With a little dullcote and a touch of weathering, should be hard to tell I did it myself.  But then, I'm an optimist.

Will understand if you ignore this post.  I'll get better.  Thanks,

Jonathan