News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Renumbering a Loco

Started by jonathan, May 06, 2009, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Sorry, two didn't go through.  Trying again...

Yampa Bob

Jonathan,
You don't need to click the "Insert Image" button at the top. When you "Mouseover" an image in your album, several selections will appear below the image, click on the bottom text that says "Img Code". . When it "highlights", copy and paste that code into your post. The code has all the tags needed to show your picture. You might double space multiple pictures to separate them.

Also, the pictures you posted are huge, 1024 X 768 with large file sizes. You should reduce the sizes to 500 pixels wide before uploading them to Photobucket. The forum will shrink the images to 500 wide anyway, but the file sizes will still be large, and members who have dial up won't be able to load the pictures.  Just a suggestion, as a matter of courtesy to all.

Remember, if you hit the "post" button and things don't look right, you can edit your post to make corrections.  The "modify" button is at the upper right of your post.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jonathan

Thanks, Yampa Bob.  I'll remember to do that in the future. I'm good at the trial and error method.

Sorry if I blew up your PC's, forum members!

Hat in hand,   Jonathan

Yampa Bob

If you don't already have an image management program, there is a free one that is extremely easy to use.

http://www.irfanview.com

If you download the program, you need to read my short tutorial before installing it. I will be glad to send the tutorial if you want it. Sizing and compressing an image takes about 15 seconds.

jonathan

OK, I'll work on my new hobby, digital photography.  I'll experiment and try another upload in the next couple of days, to see if I get the size right. 

If you were able to see my last photos, I think it's pretty cool how close you can get with a basic digital camera, and still get a sharp image.  The camera is a Nikon Cool Pix.  Spend all my spare change on trains so I can't afford one of those new-fangled digital SLRs.  Depth of field is an issue, however.  Can't get the neat shots like in the mags.

R,

Jonathan

Robertj668

Jonathan
The layout is awesome!  Great work.  As for me I like the larger picture files. Even if I still had Dial up it is worth the wait.  You can see the detail in the larger files.  Anyway glad to see the progress on the numbers.
Robert

Yampa Bob

Robert,
The images you see on the album page are "thumbnails". If you click on a picture, a much larger one will appear, usually a 640 size. An 8" X 10" image is 576 pixels X 720 pixels.

When posting to the forum, the smaller uploaded size will appear, with a reduced file size. Actually, I set all my images for posting to 500 pixels wide, but I optimize the sharpness and detail first.

As a former Webmaster, I can say that for maximum "hits" and return visits, images have to be user friendly, even for those with broadband. Be thankful you're not on dialup, with all the net clutter, you would be waiting 5 to 10 minutes for a picture to load.

pdlethbridge

maybe he needs to adjust his camera's CV's ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jonathan

Robert668,

Thanks, glad you like it.  I've set up a second album with the full size photos for those with big broadband.  Don't click on it unless your set up for high speed and lots of RAM.  Unfortunately, you can also see more detail, like cobwebs on the locos that don't get run much, rails that aren't rusted quite to the top, etc. 

Also, notice there aren't any people, lights, block signals, etc.  Plenty of bare benchwork that I didn't photograph.  Lots of work ahead of me... albeit fun work.

As for CVs, I can barely figure out which end of the camera you point with, let alone adjust CVs ;D  Thanks again Yampa Bob for helping me get broken in another piece of the MR puzzle.  If I ever get around to DCC... I know where to go to learn a new language!

Regards,

Jonathan