News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Possible to shorten V&T 4-6-0 smokebox?

Started by on30gn15, May 07, 2009, 03:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Question:
On V&T 4-6-0 in Big Hauler "Silverado" set loco is done up as woodburner with spark arresting stack but still with extend smokebox with interior spark/cinder catcher like used on coal burners: I'd like to cut smokebox back to between rivets halfway along.

That would look much better to my eye.

Is there anything inside that would make that an interesting adventure, or even prevent that entirely? The smoke unit?

Do not have set in posession yet, will be buying it the 15th.

Anyway, loco has pretty 1870 era paint job  8)
Doesn't look much like the real Virginia & Truckee's 4-6-0 #26 of 1905 or so, but so what, I like, yes indeed, I like  ;D

Other problem is, now that she's seen the set, wife wants me to buy her one  :o
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, When you get your set and unpack the locomotive you will be able to go to the smoke box front and behind the door you will see the switchers for the polarity and the on off for the smoke unit.  You will be able to also gently remove the entire smoke box front exposing the wiring behind the switches.  The smoke unit sits under the stack and you can see it easily with the front removed.   You should be able to make it somewhat shorter, but to get it as short as you want it you may have to remove and discard the smoke unit.   If having smoke is not important,  with careful work you should be able to get the effect you want.

After you get it if you have further questions let us know!!

Enjoy your new adventure and by all means get one for your wife too!!!!  You are a lucky man!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mudzuks

I just started converting a 4-6-0 into a 0-6-0 sidetank loco and had to cut the smoke box there is a lot of room inside but I did have to cut part of the weight so I could remount the smoke unit but I shortened the unit drastically and if you don't need smoke its no problem at all.

Good luck
Jeff

on30gn15

Hey Y'all;

Thanks for info.
As 2nd floor apartments are a tad short on garden space our trains will spend most of time on display with most of their running time on the floor - and since there's allergies and asthma in the house, smoke units are expendable.
We have been invited to bring our trains to garden Ry of fellow who just opened a hobby shop in our little burg of 8700, or so.

Kathy's already declared, multiple times, that her set will not see such butchery.
But she might take me up on texturing the coach roofs.

later,
Forrest
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest