News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 NORTHERN DRIVER WHEELS

Started by taku, March 25, 2009, 04:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taku

I recently opened a box of locos from my childhood and found a Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern, Burlington Route w/ smoke.  This has been in abox for about 15-18 years and I suspect that the engine was purchased about 22-25 years ago.  In the box I found a little note that I left myself that read "Rear axle broken...again.  Look in white parts box"   I found another wheel set with a broken plastic rear axle.  It appears that the replacement 'part' was the entire set of drivers.   Does anyone know if the new drivers will fit this old model?   I had great memories of this loco and woud like to salvage it if possible, but also wondering if the cost/time is worth it?     Thoughts or ideas??
The next step is to dig deeper in the myriad of boxes to look for the tiny wrenches.... 

SteamGene

If you want a working locomotive and you are the original owner, your best bet is to check on the service fee and ship it back to Bachmann.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

could cost you a bundle to repair and for a few dollars more, you can get a new one and relegate this beauty to trackside duty, modeling a steam engine display, with a bunch of ho people milling about marveling at the now silent thunder and smoke. I did get a replacement for mine at ebay some time ago for a decent price.Wish you well. i know exactly how it feels to find something from your youth and have it running again. I am currently restoring a MARKLIN TM800 down to rewiring the stator coil. Almost finished save for finding the correct couplers and centering spring. I found a picture of myself at four years old playing with that same engine.

taku

Yes, I am the original owner, although I do not have any paperwork to back that up.  I must have been about 12 or 13 when I would have bought it.  I would guess that the fee to repair it and the shipping to & fro would probably almost warrant just buying new, but I could be wrong....   (anyone agree or disagree?)   I have no idea what the ballpark figure would be to repair.
Obviously I repaired it once when I wasn't any more than about 16, so I guess I could do it again if I could get the parts.  It looks like it had metal wheels and plastic axles and axles broke.   I suspect that the pressure of running it on some of the smaller radii in our old layout may have torqued and flexed the back wheel set repeatedly and caused the failure, but I ran the heck out of that engine.   (Being the younger son, my tracks and yard with turntable was laid inside my brothers and the two were circumnavigated by two larger dogbones & folded dogbones.)  The only way to get from my turn table out to the two larger loops was a tour around my line, switchover to my brothers (a source of a few fights) and then out the the two larger main lines.  There were a few unavoidable 18" radii which the engine handled well, but apparently paid the price in the axle.  It'd be a shame to see a good work horse put out to pasture.
Incidently, last night I went through some boxes with my dad last night at his house and we found something interesting...   He had always been impressed with my 4-8-4 Northern and how it ran and he had apparently (sometime later) found a beautifully detailed Brass 4-8-4 Northern and 'just had to have it'.   I can't ever recall seeing it run...  Maybe he bought it after I was off to college....

trainmaster971

As you are the original owner you can return the Northern to Bachmann and they will replace it.  The fee is $30.00 and it will cost you about $10.00 to mail it with insurance and delivery confirmation.  The cost of a new Northern, on e-bay, is considerably more than that.  Call customer service and they can advise you.

taku

Well, I've been busy lately but I just got around to packaging up the old Northern and sending it in.    We'll see what happens.   Despite some of what I've read here about some people having issues, I'm optimistic.   
My son's 4x8 is 'done' (if there is such a thing.... ok,ok it's running, mountains, bridge, road, most landscaping and some buildings, but still more to be done.) 
I've already been making my wish list for new locos and equipment for the next new big layout that's being started at grandpa's house....(bigger basement, more permanent address) 

rustyrails

Years ago...maybe around the time frame you're talking about...Bowser made replacement chassis in, I believe, 4-8-4 and 4-6-2 wheel arrangements for Bachmann superstructures.  These run like watches if assembled and tuned carefully and are built like tanks.  However, I don't think Bowser is in the loco business any more.  I seem to recall that ?Walthers? bought Bowser and is producing the line of freight cars.  If you're interested, you might try calling Walthers.  Good luck.
Rusty

firedocii

Taku, I recently came into owning a Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern w/56'tender.  This was a Burlington route loco, still in the box, wrapped in the original plastic.  Based in the info that I received, it had been in storage since the early 80's, and had never been ran. 
This was a gold-find for my young modeler son as we grew up along the mississippi river in Burlington, and having traveled the route to Quincy, Il many times. Sorry the history.
I would be interested to know if you have heard anything back from the Bachmann company on your 4-8-4 repair.  I recently contacted Bachmann and was led to believe they no longer make 4-8-4 in a HO scale.  Are replacement part available?
thanks,

RAM

The early 80s is almost 30 years ago.  As far as making the 4-8-4, they do, but they don't.  The 4-8-4 now in production looks the same, but it is new from the wheels up. 

taku

Fire,
It sounds like you have the same loco that I had.... 4-8-4 Northern, Burlington Route.....

I have not heard anything back from service yet, but I've heard that they have a considerable backlog.   I do know that the package was recieved.
I doubted that parts would be available either as it is over 30 years old.   (I'm feeling old now, up unitl a few weeks ago, that was one of my 'newer engines'