News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Time Ratio

Started by WGL, May 19, 2009, 02:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyrails

CNE,
Am I driving the truck? Or... watching the truck from the roadside? Or...from another moving vehicle? Or... am I the fish?  hehehe

On a less relativistic theme, I just checked Carstens web site where it appears they will sell you Paul Mallory's book for $12.95.

Rusty

rogertra

Quote from: CNE Runner on May 20, 2009, 09:31:28 AM
A truck, carrying an aquarium, is traveling west at 50 mph. In the aquarium is a fish that is swimming east at 1 mph. What is the speed of the fish?
Ray

The fish is swimming at 1 MPH.

The truck is moving at 50MPH as is a water that the fish is swimming in.

Yampa Bob

I always hated story problems. Like, one train leaves at 9 AM, travels at 50 mph. Another train leaves at 12 noon, at 60 mph. But the first train had to back up for 5 minutes at 10 mph, the second train had a 10 minute delay due to cows on the tracks, yada yada.  Phooey.  :D

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Thanks, Joe & Rusty, for the information about where to get those books.

mudzuks

Yikes, scale time? fast time? so if I understand this correctly within a switching yard it would not apply, because most likely your entire yard would be to scale in size, so if your running at scale speed time takes care of itself.  but on the main line time jumps ahead because station "A" is not 60 Scale miles from station "B" so if I am running at 60 scale miles per hour and my stations are really only 5 scale miles apart my trains arrive in 5 minutes but the clock needs simulates an hour... WOW That just took all the fun out of running my trains... and brings a whole new meaning to the term obsessive compulsive behavior. If jeff hurls his loco out the window at 50 mph and hits a truck heading the other direction at 25mph how long does it take a grass hopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Jeff
just turn the throttle up as high as it will go and watch the kids smile.