News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layouts of foam

Started by Terry Toenges, May 08, 2009, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

As I sit watching the rain pounding down and the street getting flooded, I told my wife that if the water comes up in the house, we'll just climb on the layout and float to the ceiling. After that, I don't know...
Feel like a Mogul.

Jim Banner

Up here in Saskatchewan it is snowing.  At least we can walk on our water.  Good thing, too.  My plaster covered layout would float like a rock.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Here in Alabama it's rain, rain, rain. Luckily our shack is located on a hill - or I would be considering an ark. Hmmm, a foam layout that is solar powered would mean you could still operate your trains while floating around the neighborhood...something for the sharp engineers, in Huntsville, to consider.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rustyrails

I thought the sun was going to come out here in western Maryland this morning, but it has gotten cloudy again.  Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the humming birds.  Layout room still in disarray while I finish wiring.  I won't be floating with you guys for about another month or six weeks.

Rusty

Terry Toenges

I don't do plaster on layouts anymore so it should float. 8 layers of 2" foam from 6' x 9' at the bottom to 3 1/2' x 6' at the mid-level part. Plus 1 1/2' x 9' of foam along the back part.
When I used to build boat docks, I'm trying to remember how big the foams blocks were that we used under them. I think they were like 2' high by 3' wide by 6' long and they would hold me.
I found myself thinking about TOC's battery powered locos and how maybe I should have a couple battery powered ones, just in case. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

Does the Coast Guard require PFDs on floating layouts?

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rustyrails

Yes, Ray, and running lights if you're going to be operating trains after dark.   ;) 
Rusty

bevernie

Quote from: CNE Runner on May 09, 2009, 11:22:47 AM
Here in Alabama it's rain, rain, rain. Luckily our shack is located on a hill - or I would be considering an ark. Hmmm, a foam layout that is solar powered would mean you could still operate your trains while floating around the neighborhood...something for the sharp engineers, in Huntsville, to consider.

Ray
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DGREETINGS, ALL!! ;)To make your LAYOUT PORTABLE, ALL you need is a CIGARETTE LIGHTER PLUG!! Since the layout is 12 volts, just plug it in to one of those portable battery packs that supply 12 volts, and there you are!! :o
      :DYou can set it up wherever you want, or you can FLOAT it wherever you want!! ::)
                                                                                                             THANX!!
                                                                     8)                                        Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

SteamGene

We're still trying to get our vegtable garden in.  We plow - it rains.  Now we have to do another light plowing next week if the rain holds off long enough for the dirt to dry out. 
Mine won't float - though it does have a lot of wood..... The only plaster is from plaster cloth, other than a few plaster castings. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

train with no shame

We had 11" of rain last weekend , hurricane 9 months ago .And a small Tornado took my house out 2 weeks before that . Thought i was back in Kansas. Huge Oak took out the roof .And my Truck ,my Mustang and Jeep, Harley was in mom and dads garage  .Took out all 3 of them . But i did find out, out of boardem and Blue tarps . The Generator ran the house and my Trains   ....lol   Hotter than He-double Hockey sticks now ,here in south Texas .  Funny we actually had some snow Jim , 2 whole inches . Being from Maine ,I thought i was back home  ......   

grumpy

Just a thought . Can you scratchbuild a hurricane or a tornado.
Don

Terry Toenges

There are "blow up" model  train cars. Why not a way to model a moving tornado? Hmmmm...... ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

train with no shame

It was actually , Tropical Storm Edward . 2 weeks before Hurricane Ike . The Adjuster came  that Wednesday  .Hurricane hit that Friday . We were without power for 2 weeks . Lot of trees down around us . But our Beach House that was on Crystal Beach  by High Island that my grand father built .was one of the few that survived .

I think we could come up with a Tornado . Gomez blew his trains up so anything is possible .   

train with no shame

And as for the foam . We are cookie cutting in and around the layout with foam .For a River and Valley, and also some rolling hills . I am in the process of raising the road bed 3/4 " with 1x2 blocks at each sectional joint of EZ track . I also bought a NMRA gauge , for Tunnel and Portal heights . And also to check gauge on rails ,wheels ,flange's ect .Was a good tool , found some of my wheels were off on the axle's on my rolling stock . Goes along with the maintenance .  peace to all mark f

mudzuks

Grumpy, You CAN I was at a train expo at The Long Beach convention center a few years back and one of the Modules had a Cloud made of cotton and a twister made of pillow lining which would spin down out of the cloud and then move across the module. all while a strobe light and thunder sounds simulated lightning. it was pretty neat. of coarse I say NEAT while sitting here in sunny California.

Jeff