News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sunset pacific

Started by pdlethbridge, May 08, 2009, 07:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I'm converting a brass pacific to DCC. All is going well except the front truck. How does it go together. You think I could figure it out, but there are too many pieces, 5, I'm so confused! I've tried a couple of different ways but it's not right. Can anyone help?
There are the following parts.
4 wheel truck
conical spring
long screw
washer
1/8" bushing with washer at one end.
1/8" thick, 1/4" round plastic ring
Thanks in advance.

rustyrails

Not all of these things are designed the same.  In general, the spring is used to put downward pressure on the truck to help tracking.  The long screw goes through the slot in the truck.  A washer usually sits on top of the truck so the truck is sandwiched in between the screw head and the washer.  The conical spring sits small end down on top of the washer and gets compressed in between the truck and the bottom of the pilot.  My B&O P7 front truck has a tongue that is screwed to the gear cover, forming a pivot point. 

My guess is that your bushing with a washer at one end probably goes on the screw first, washer end sitting on the screw head;  then the truck; then the washer, then the spring.  You're on your own for the other piece.  It may be some sort of a spacer.  I'm afraid without seeing it that's the best I can do.
Rusty

pdlethbridge

I have seen pictures of the conical spring mounted point up as on the mantua pacific.
http://www.yardbirdtrains.com/SpecsM2Pacific3.htm

rustyrails

PD, I can just tell you how mine is.  It works.  If your washer is big enough to support the fat end of the spring, try it that way.  After all, there are only 120 different ways to put those parts together.  hehehehe
Rusty

pdlethbridge

Yampa Bob

If you have a piece leftover, don't worry about it. The thing is probably over engineered anyway.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge