News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RFD's Trains & Locomotives

Started by WGL, May 09, 2009, 02:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I was just informed by a country-western fan that the RFD channel has a weekly program on Mondays, "Trains & Locomotives."  Has anyone here seen it?  I'll be checking on it next week, probably at the 3 a.m. repeated showing, because we watch news during its 5-6 p.m. showing.

CNE Runner

I am not a county music fan, BUT I have seen RFD: Trains & Locomotives and only wish our cable company carried the channel.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rustyrails

RFD also shows toy train, usually Lionel, flicks in the middle of the night.  I think the series is called I Love Toy Trains.
Rusty

WGL

Ray & Rusty, thanks for your comments.  The friend gave me a rent RFD magazine, so I'll check for "I Love Toy Trains."

Yampa Bob

Ray,  Thank you for not calling it "country western" music. Country is country, I never heard of "country eastern" music.  :D

I was raised on country music, but today's new songs have no heart. It it's not about cowboys, cowgirls, trains, cattle, broken hearts, hootenannies and yeehaw, it's not country.  Johnny Cash, June Carter, Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty, Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn...now that's country.

Back in the 50s, everynight XERF (Mexico) cranked up the power (250,000 watts) and blasted our car radios, someone would make a "beer run" and we'd party.

The RFD channel features great musical groups every night from Branson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branson,_Missouri

Young people today may not know what "RFD" stands for.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Hi Bob...'haven't heard from you in a while. I remember, attending college in upstate NY, and listening to WWVA - Wheeling, WV. Yes, I do perfer the old country songs: Eddie Arnold, Patsy Cline, etc. We were traveling through the Panhandle of Florida some time ago (at night) and managed to receive a radio station that specialized in classical country (I love Earl Scruggs playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown)...if we could receive that station in northern Alabama I might almost listen to country.

My dad was a NY apple farmer, so I definitely know what RFD stands for (Rural Free Delivery). There was an old railbed that crossed our farm...yep, the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut (although, as a kid, I didn't know that). Simpler times.

Those Lionel shows are from a series called "I Love Trains" and can be bought through TM Books and Video @ www.tmbooks-video.com - this is where I used to get my Lionel appraisal guides when I was in the business...good people.

Happy Mothers' Day,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

WGL

I watched Trains & Locomotives for the first time.  Both 30-minute programs dealt with Denver & Rio Grande.  Bob's probably mentioned that 6.2 mile tunnel & the 4% grade.  I enjoyed seeing the two Mikados operating.

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: CNE Runner on May 10, 2009, 08:14:17 AM
Hi Bob...'haven't heard from you in a while. I remember, attending college in upstate NY, and listening to WWVA - Wheeling, WV. Yes, I do perfer the old country songs: Eddie Arnold, Patsy Cline, etc. We were traveling through the Panhandle of Florida some time ago (at night) and managed to receive a radio station that specialized in classical country (I love Earl Scruggs playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown)...if we could receive that station in northern Alabama I might almost listen to country.

My dad was a NY apple farmer, so I definitely know what RFD stands for (Rural Free Delivery). There was an old railbed that crossed our farm...yep, the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut (although, as a kid, I didn't know that). Simpler times.

Those Lionel shows are from a series called "I Love Trains" and can be bought through TM Books and Video @ www.tmbooks-video.com - this is where I used to get my Lionel appraisal guides when I was in the business...good people.

Happy Mothers' Day,

Amazing someone would remember or even know about WWVA.  I grew up in Harrison County WV in the fifties and sixties and we all listened to Cherokee Sue!  I still use RFD!  They just call it HC now (hand carried).  I agree, hasn't been any country music since the middle sixties.  I do like my Bluegrass though.         Stephen

Ray

jsmvmd

Dear Cowboy Bob,

When you're looking at me, you're looking at country!

I suppose we all Stand By our (Bach) Man!   ;D

Best Wishes,

Jack

rustyrails

I grew up in and around Wheeling...WWVA used to have a live show called the WWVA Jamboree that I think was on Saturday.  Last time I was there was in about 1990.  I understand that the Jamboree was still going strong and that all the hotel/motel rooms were spoken for every week-end.  The announcers all had an odd way of saying WWVA...the stress was always on the V which they drew out.  wwVWEEEa.  Ah, memories of a wasted youth.
Rusty

Yampa Bob

If I could be young again, knowing what I know now, I would still do the same thing, only a lot more of it.  :D

T Cline

Yeah, that's a pretty neat program. However, I just dumped my DirecTV service because I got tired of getting ripped-off. I will miss the RFD channel though. I liked the old tractors shows too. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see paying $80.00 a month for 300+ channels, and I only watch perhaps a dozen of them... The rest is CRAP!  I just put up an antenna, and I get 28 channels free. 10 of them are in HD! once again.... FREE!!!!

WGL

I watched, for the first time, RFD TV's I Love Toy Trains.  It was about accessories, specifically Lionel.  I was impressed with several of them.  I like the mail car that snags a mail bag off a trackside pole, & the water tower that used real water that was pumped down to simulate filling the boiler & then pumped back up to simulate refilling the water tank.  The narrator evaluates each item for collectors' value.

TCline, we live 25 miles from the nearest city with broadcast HD channels & 65 miles from a big city, so we couldn't get much.  I'd love to choose only the channels I want to pay for, but cable & satellite companies have more influence in Washington than consumers do.  I switched from cable to satellite, because cable is a monopoly in our town, but we have a choice of two satellite dish companies.  It isn't fair that DirecTV requires us to lease their HD receiver, instead of buying it, but charges us to repair it or buy a service contract.  >:(

grumpy

Just tell them it is their machine and they are responsible for maintaining it . If it isn't working properly you have the option of returning it
Don

Yampa Bob

I watched RFD's trains and locomotives today for the first time, great program.
Today's episodes were about California Zephy, and other railroads that used dome observation cars; and the Columbia River lift bridge.

The program aired at 4 PM Mountain time, so didn't conflict with our news programs.