After sales policy in Britain. Minor gripe.

Started by JohnAH, May 09, 2009, 05:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnAH

Hello.
I am the owner of several Consolidations and very pleased I am with them too. I bought them in the knowledge that they have their niggles, qualitywise. To date, the only problem I have had with them is the leading bogie....er...truck bolster breaking on the tender. THis is pitifully weak mechanically. Anyway, one failed and I wrote to Bachmann(UK) using the online form. A few days later a replacement appeared FOC, excellent.. Now a few months later, one has failed on another machine. So I wrote off again. Three times. Nothing.

Bach-mann, is it possible for you to help me? I have a locomotive in the dead pool for the sake of a part costing less than a Dollar. Ive tried super gluing it together but the plastic just crumbles.

Thanks anyway.

the Bach-man

Dear John,
I have no contact with Bachmann UK.  Try the phone number on their website.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

David Fletcher

Pry off the spring detail at the end of the bolster, unscrew the useles screw out of the end of the bolster, drill a new hole right through to the plastic in the main central frame of the truck and insert a new longer screw, about 1/3" long, reaching beyond where the truck frame broke off.  Place the spring detail back on the end of the bolster and you're done - truck fixed.  Repaired many this way.

Fletch.

JohnAH

Just a quick word. Phoned Bachmann and the part arrived the other day. Fitted and all OK.

THANKS ;D

Daft question number one. Will the replacement part fail? i.e. is the failure part of a bad batch with for example, damp in the plastic.....OR is it a design fault and should I take the kindly given advice above? Sorry if this is old ground but I ve had a look around and found nothing.....

mudzuks

I would do the recommended repair with the longer screw and install the new part and be done with it, bad replacement or not it should be a good strong retrofit fix.

Just my 2 cents