News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My new plans

Started by Daylight4449, May 09, 2009, 10:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I was just planning to convert my 4x8 to dcc when my parents anounced we were moving. I am really excited beacuse my brother has agreed to give me 2 walls of the playroom for a layout, my plan is an "L" shelf layout or rather 2 2X8 boards and 1 2X2 in an L format. it will be a large layout compared to what i had befor not in terms of square  footage but in terms of mainline space.

Santa Fe buff

Great, isn't it exciting when you finally get to see a big or sizable layout take place as you've always dreamed? Have you thought of a track-plan, railroad, sub/area of said railroad, or a system to use?

Atlas' Right-Track freeware software is what I downloaded for all my track-planning needs, it works very nicely, and is good for the wallet, since it is free! When looking for the link, I noticed it's a new version, so right now, I'm downloading that. I'm anxious to see some possible improvements.

http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

Keep us posted! Cheers!

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Daylight4449

I would like to show my track plan, how do i do that if i made it in rts 8.0?

I would love comments from eperts

jward

i am no expert, but i do know you can save your plan as both an rts file (which can be edited by right track) and a bmp file (which cannot be edited in right track.)  i would advise every time you save a draft of your layout, save it as both types of file. i think the bmp versions are what everybody posts here.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Daylight4449

here is my current idea, any comment oor suggestions would be appreciated.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/8227/layout00.png

pdlethbridge

The lowest track on the siding to the right should bew lengthened to fit a loco and car. It looks too short. If lengthened, this will provide plenty of switching for your layout and allow for 2 operators, 1 mainline and 1 siding. Great start! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guilford Guy

I see too much spaghetti and too little sauce... Yes, I am a food critic.
Alex

Pacific Northern

The track plan itself is a good start.

However, I think you are trying to cram too much track into the area you have for your layout. 
Leave some room for buildings and industry. You have little room for a townsite or industrial site which is why your railroad exists. Not much room for scenery either.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

I'm not an epert, but I believe gg is correct - this is classic 1940-1950 "spaghetti bowl" planning.  Far too much track, so much it doesn't make sense.  While I think you want sidings, what you have are two stub end yards.  Get rid of half of the track.  Make it run.  Do some scenery.  Play with it and go from there.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jettrainfan

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 13, 2009, 06:12:12 PM
The track plan itself is a good start.

However, I think you are trying to cram too much track into the area you have for your layout. 
Leave some room for buildings and industry. You have little room for a townsite or industrial site which is why your railroad exists. Not much room for scenery either.

True, i always loved switching and i see this as a switching only layout. Correct me, some what industrial???

But...In my opinion, I would put an engine for each main yard and one of them could play the road switcher job or the main line engines do it. Again scenery is important. My opinion is a little different, Scenery makes a layout interesting :).Think of those huge basement layouts for example, You only see wood, tape, a train magazine(my 8X8 layout with scenery, i put it on my yard...lol) etc. but you put scenery, it tells a story. it makes you say " :o wow :o". and maybe that train magazine(again my fault :P) but it makes a difference. Either way enjoy!!!! ;) ;) ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Daylight4449

I am modeling the nys&w. they were industrial. i might remove some sidings in the main section  it is the odd looking yard i am concerned about.

jward

i think your plan is just fine. i really can't see any track configurations that would cause you grief. i assume you'll be sticking with 4 axle diesels and 50' or shorter cars?

when planning your layout, what matters most is if YOU like it. what your operational interest is will determine how much emphasis you put on scenic elements. most of the layouts you see in the magazines emphasize scenery over operation. and some of their track arrangements are downright bizarre.

i think that the old school had it right on alot of things, layout design included. you have to pack things in tighter than you normally would see them in real life. you don't notice them when you are operating your trains, especially with friends.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Daylight4449

I acctually will be operating 4 axle diesels and some steam.

Guilford Guy

Putting track everywhere won't make it industrial or more operationally interesting. You're using 20 switches, are you sure you want to spend all that money? Your tracks are awfully close to the edge, if something were to derail it would take a long trip to the floor.
Perhaps a more reasonable plan is to make the 2x6 extension a more workable yard, and have trains work around the rest of the layout, switching cars, while descending, eventually ending up in a staging yard beneath the main yard.
Another thing to consider is you'll be recahing over 4ft to throw a switch.
Alex

Michigan Railfan

True that , GG. My friends layout is about 3.5 to 4 ft above ground. He has had about 3 or 4 locomotives fall off the edge and break. Its always good to have room between the outside rail and the edge of your layout.