Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single chuff (redux)

Started by SteamGene, February 04, 2007, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Where did the homostote come from?  I think Yampa Bob got into the Colorado Mountain High a bit too early in the day. 
OTOH, I have one totally electricly dead turnout.  To make it worse, it's the head turnout for the east end of South River Yard.  I get either no or very faint voltage readings on it and all locomotives stall on it.  Should I drop leads from it?  I have no idea why no power comes to it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

To answer my own question, the leads work fine. 
Today I put VT&P 125, a USRA 0-8-0 (Proto 200) on the layout and ran it into the west end of South River Yard.  It cleared the first turnout and then slammed to a stop passing the second.  A bit of investigating showed that the slide switch controlling the turnout was too close to the track and blocked the loco.  That was an easy fix - not like some other problems I'm finding.  Ah, well.
BTW, I have three different ways to control the turnouts.  The most common are Caboose Hobby ground throws, followed by slide switches in a similar manner as Sheldon uses them.  I use these only in yards where track clearance is such that a ground throw won't work or to control turnouts in either staging or the reverse loop.  The other controller is the old Atlas remote, which is used only on a few turnouts in staging.  I was going to use Atlas underlayout controls, but found them impossible to adjust correctly.  The Atlas tech said he didn't use them.  I may install Tortoise at some point - some of the Caboose are hard to reach! 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

C&O T-1 leased to VT&P pushed VT&P X -2TC  as Track Maintenace extra to complete the first circumnavigation of the Valley sub.  Not without some problems, of course.  But they seem to be getting fewer, rather than more. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

The first section of track has been ballasted.  It's the C&O mainline at Nick Junction just to the west of Gordonsville, Va.  (this is non-powered track)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Well, for the first time since before November, I actually put down some plaster cloth this afternoon, working on the Blue Ridge Mountains between Nicksburg and Bradyton.  I need somebody who is at least six feet tall to help me!  <g>
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Gene, glad to see you are back at it.

I will send you those pictures as soon as I get a small break in a busy spring work schedule.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat