Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single chuff (redux)

Started by SteamGene, February 04, 2007, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I glue my track down with PolySeamSeal brand adheasive caulk. Saw the technique in an MR article years ago. This brand of adheasive caulk is silicone free and works very well.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I thank thee .. oops - Thanks, Sheldon. I'll look for it.  In the meantime, to paraphrase Honest Abe, "the VT&P flows unchecked to the sea."  The major benchwork under the yard/staging is in place, and the first track is laid.  I've even selected buildings for the industrial area.  To switch literary models:  "Quick, Watson!  The game's afoot!"
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

Sheldon,
What is the advantage of the PolySeamSeal over Elmer's White Glue?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

larry b

steam gene, guestion?   :o When covering your plywood, is it better to use
the homasote or foam?  In using either one of these products does it eliminate the need to use cork as your road bed? 

Larry B

Atlantic Central

Gene,

White glue does not really stick to plastic, it only holds by shaping itself around the plastic. white glue is really only intended for porious materials like paper and wood

PloySeamSeal actually sticks to plastic.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Larry,
Both homosote and foam have advantages and disavantages.  Either can be used, depending on which pluses overcome which disadvantages according to you.  My club uses homsote.  I use foam.  For sound deadening, I suppose both would get rid of the use of cork roadbed.  However, I like the roadbed shape of the cork.  The club runs on flat homosote and I've always thought was an error. 
In my industrial areas I will run track directly on the foam, but the mainline will have cork roadbed.  The yard will probably have thicker foam.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Larry & Gene,

As to the roadbed question, I prefer homabed brand roadbed. I nail it down with a prad nailer, then glue the track to it with the PolySeamSeal.

I have not experimented with foam yet. Not sure if i like the idea, it seems so soft to me. I know many others love it. several in our group use it, some for roadbed, others only use it for scenery, using homabed or homasote for roadbed.

Sheldon

SteamGene

The first risers have risen.  And gee, Lent doesn't begin until Wednesday.   ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Craig

I used Dap adhesive caulk. Spread thin along a center line almost as wide as the ties. You can't see it when ballasted if you do it right. Hold in place with push pins and weights for about 15 minutes and then move on. Very quick, strong bond.

White glue will desolve and soften when ballasting your track. It is definately the wrong choice.

SteamGene

Thanks, Craig.  Two good ideas.  Okay, good bye Elmers for track adhesion.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

Subroadbed for the staging yard is in.  Tomorrow we put down wallboard - which I'm told is a great substitute for homosote and work on some risers and maybe laying some track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Hi Gene,

When you write 'wall board', you don't mean 'sheet rock' do you? That doesn't seem like it would be a very good or sturdy or water-proof foundation to build a layout on ... specially for strength. Maybe I just don't know what 'wall board' is ... but I don't think I would recommend your using 'sheet rock'.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Jake

Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Lanny, No, the stuff called OSB.  I am going to try what a friend has used on his layout, which is sheetrock.  He says it works as well as homosote and is much cheaper. 

Jake,
I looked at one of the picture websites to upload some pictures and found it more complicated than I liked.  I asked some friends for suggestions, but I wasn't happpy.  Since so many people have no trouble, I'll have to try again.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Bill Baker

Gene,

By any chance are you going to paint your rails and/or ties?  I would start it about now before you get into ballasting and scenery.

This is a great thread.  Keep it going.

Bill
Bill