Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single chuff (redux)

Started by SteamGene, February 04, 2007, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Just a tad shorter as one penninsula has a one loop helix while the other, since I started the grade earlier does not.  The penninsula with the helix has the coaling station siding while the other has a three track mine tipple as mentioned earlier. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

I see the arms of Sir Question, a question white, on field blue, all fortified by line white.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Trainboard's acting up..... I'll put the pics up again......

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

-Paul
[

SteamGene

That worked.   All of these are old photos. 

First is a shot of Basic City.  The building, essentially where it will be placed is Moser's Kraut und Gerkin (back to its original name after being Moser's Pickled Cabbage and Cucumber Pickles during WWII).
Second is the west end of the Leesboro/South River Yard platform.  The upper track leads to that location.  The track hugging the wall is the reverse loop track and the track along the layout edge is the mainline east from Sugar Grove, WV.  The siding is Valley Meat Packing. 
Third is South River Viaduct.
Fourth is the beginning of the tracks for the tipple for GP#13 tipple, west of Hannaville.
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

The C&O/VT&P interchange turnout (Atlas#6) has given me problems.  It's fine for traffic westbound, either on the main or on the interchange track, but going eastbound causes switch picking, especially trying to gain the interchange.  I ran the track inspection car over it today and watched the front trucks go the correct route and the rear trucks go straight.  I took an Evergreen styrene strip and slid it under the bar, raising it just a bit.  No problem.  I've cut it off, but have neither glued nor painted it yet.  I'll try some powered traffic over it and make sure that is the cure. 
The C&O H-5 1529 (USRA light Mallet) pushed a cut of four C&O hoppers ( 3 50T, 1 70T) under JP #6 Mine's tipple for loading.  The GP #13 mine's tipple is now mostly complete. 
I think I need to station an 0-8-0 to help work the two mines. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Gene,
email me if you have pics of the Rock City barn you mentioned in another thread.

-Paul

-Paul
[

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Beatle (TrainBrain)

When I get to the point where I start building my new layout, I'll post pics. And it should be soon. I just finished what was supposed to be a weekend project of moving a closet wall. Of course, it wasn't very simple. Almost everything went wrong. From poor insulation, to NO STUDS. Long story that I'll tell later, but it's done. More room in the basement, and more room to add to the 22-20' space I already have!

As you can tell in my signature, the plans are almost done, too. I'll be sure to post those when they're done.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

SteamGene

The first plaster cloth got put down today, as well as a support for the Hannaville station to bring it up to track height and a block for Hannahville's Main Street grade crossing. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

If you look back to the photos of the risers and subroadbed along the wall and the curve you will not notice the problem I've found.   ;D  There is a decided hump in the roadbed.  My tenative solution is to cut the riser where the grade suddenly gets greater and raise it just a bit to increase the length of the grade and hence decrease the degree of rise. 
Thoughts?
gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

I've been putting down plaster cloth and whatnot, but today the VT&P took a major step forward.  The engine facility main section came off the risers, painted homosote got attached, the roundhouses measured and the hole for the turntable cut and then the table fitted. 
It struck me that if I turn the plywood foundation around, I'll be at the roundhouse/turntable and can work on that while it is  "on the layout" and then turn it around when the distant section is finished and readly to go. 
Sometimes I'm slow.  It wasn't until we were taking the plywood off the supports that I noticed a support was under where the turntable would go. So I've also done some backing and filling today.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

I've always heard that one should test a locomotive on DC before installing DCC.  While I know I can run a DC locomotive on address 01, and have done it before, I wonder if that is a proper "test."  So I looked around the layout and discovered an ideal spot for a test track. 
I've now constructed a 9' long test track that is just inside the reverse loop approach track, under Hannahville and the tipple to John Paul #6 tipple.  The sub roadbed is salvaged privacy fence planking with Woodland Scenic roadbed. 
I've tested two Bachmann locos which I've had for months and never run, both USRA Mountains, one Light, one Heavy.  IF I have time tomorrow (busy day, tomorrow) I will test the USRA light Mallet.  If all goes well, the new MRC sound decoders go in two at once, while I await a tender swap. 
One thing I need to do is to add a light or two over the test track.  It's dark now and when scenery gets more complete it's going to be even darker. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: lanny on February 05, 2007, 08:39:08 AM
Testing out my 'signature' to see if I got it added correctly.

lanny nicolet
speaking of your signure, I happen to live in the Kankakee area! That Green Diamond ran right down these lines!
Oh, and good luck Gene.
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

The 2-6-6-2 tested fine, too.  Sound decoders go in next week and then I'll break in two of them. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat