News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Absolute Minimum Acela Radius

Started by herc driver, May 10, 2009, 11:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herc driver

Hello,

Would anyone happen to know the smallest radius the Acela Nscale set could operate on?  The product listing says 19",  but I was wondering if anyone is operating this set on curves smaller than that.

Thanks everyone!

hobo1

Herc driver the best radius for this train is 26 inch radius and above not only for looks but for running .  I would not go under 19 inches on this train .even 19 inch radius is a little tight for me.

herc driver

I agree that it sure would look better on much larger radius track, but I'm extremely space limited and could only use 11 inch radius curves on my layout.  I was holding out a faint hope that the train might run on 11 inch track, but knew that was a long shot.  I realize it would look horribly unprototypical, but it's such a good looking train, I wouldn't mind.  ;)

I just wondered if anyone had used the train on small radius tracks, or if the train could run on a smaller radius at all without one car's edge hitting another as it takes a tighter radius curve.

Thanks!

airferber

I bought the Kato V11 double track set.  The inner radius is about 15" and the outer radius is about 16."  The curves are superelevated (banked). I ran the acela express on this track.  The train had a tendency to slow down slightly, especially on the the inner curve, but the train did not derail.  If you feel the need to use a tighter radius, I do NOT recommend running the train on a curve with a radius of less than 15".

herc driver

Thank you very much for the information!  As much as I'd like to add this train to my rails, it isn't going to happen.  My largest radius are 11 inches...and I figured that would be way too tight for the Acela unfortunately.