News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

switchstands

Started by jward, May 10, 2009, 05:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

in another thread various people have mentioned switchstands aka hand throws. there are several manufacturers of these including caboose industries and now nj international. since the caboose industries switchsatands are way overscale, i was wondering if anybody had experience with those of other manufacturers? i am especially interested in the high level switchstands.

how well do other brands hold up comparesd to the caboose industries ones?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rustyrails

Years ago I used a couple of NJ International switch stands on small module I built.  They were beautiful, but not real robust.  I think I ended up hooking them up to switch machines so that the targets turned as the switch was thrown, but without the stress of moving the points with the tiny lever on the switch stand.  Also, my recollection is that the NJ switch stands were not sprung so I had to fabricate a spring linkage...no big deal, but something to be aware of.  The Caboose Industries products are oversize, but they are relatively inexpensive, very sturdy, easy to install, and work flawlessly.

Rusty

jward

i handlay my switches so not having a spring is not a big deal. i simply space my points to the throw of the switchstand.

but if these can't stand up to everyday operations i think i will pass on them. maybe if i use caboose n scale switchstands they'll look better.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ray46

The throw travel (I think you know what I mean) will probably not be long enough.  If it were, I, along with everyone else, would be using them instead of Campbell HO throws

Ray
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."  The Eagles

pdlethbridge

If you power your turnouts with switchmaster slow motion motors, put a scale switch stand next to it that changes from red to green when the switch is thrown.

BillD53A

I used Caboose N scale ground throws on all my HO yard and industrial trackage. 

Guilford Guy

I'm fond of the Caboose Industries high level switch stands. How large is your layout? They can get expensive if you're using more than a dozen of them...
http://www.cabooseind.com//pr2.html
Alex

jward

the layout will be a shelf type in two rooms. the shelf will vary from 1 to 4 feet depending on location. and yes, i will probably need more than a dozen switchstands. i was planning on using high stands on the mainline, and low ones everywhere else.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BillD53A

I use high level stands for the mainline turnouts and ground thows for the industrial spurs.  The targets are painted green facing the operator to indicate the switch is in the 'normal' position, and yellow to show it is reversed.  The ground throws have the handles painted in the same way.