New Organization to run the EBT for the Next Three Years

Started by ebtbob, May 08, 2009, 08:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Is this what we have wished so long for? I'm sure we all hope so.

"The new organization, the East Broad Top Railroad Preservation Association, was put together by Larry Salone, who took over as executive director of the Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum in 2007."

Full test at:

http://www.trains. com/trn/default. aspx?c=a& id=5023
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jward

i like the idea of opening the line to mount union. when i talked to ebt people in 2006 they said it would cost about 5 mill to refurbish this section.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

They also plan on refurbishing a 2nd steamer, probably no. 14

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I too like the idea of opening the line to Mt Union.   With the relocation of Rte 522,   there is only one "major" road crossing to deal with,  that being just past the concrete bridge looking toward Mt. Union.  The biggest "problem" may be the turning of locos if the railroad wants to continue its practice of running normal(engines first) in both directions.    The wye at Mt Union is long gone and the expense of getting another turntable may be out of the question.     As far as track clearning,  the crews that have been clearing track south toward Robertsdale for the speeder cars,  I would guess,  would be glad to take up the task.
      #14 would be the most logical candidate for restoraction as she was the last of the 6 steamers to be used in tourist service before the return of #15.
       Lastly,   if the railroad could be opened to Mt. Union,  one can only hope that more recognition of the railroad might lead to more modelers wanting EBT equipment in all scales.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

rustyrails

I had the pleasure of spending a wonderful morning on the EBT property back in 1983.  I took my ex-wife there on our honeymoon....probably has something to do with why she's my ex.  What a gem that place is. I will never forget standing in the engine house with a couple of the "old ladies," soaking up the smells and imagined sounds, the hustle and bustle of decades of railroading.  God bless her.
Rusty

Woody Elmore

Visiting the EBT for a Winter excursion is a highlight in my railfanning memories. Jumping off the caboose into knee high snow was invigorating and a lot of fun. It would be great to see the line expand. Unfortunately that takes a lot of money.

I also remember riding he Shade Gap trolley. Is that still running?

SteamGene

Shade Gap was there the last time I was there. 
Bob, did they used to turn on a wye at Mount Union?  Is it possible to restore it?  Seems to me, that in the worst case, all they need do is reverse the locomotive.
I wonder what the high school kids will think of a steam train crossing their campus?   ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Gene,

Yes,  the EBT turned engines on a wye at Mt Union,  and no it could  not be restored,  at least ,  in its original location as buildings have been built over the one leg.    I do not know,  for sure,  how probable it would be to create a wye on the rest of their property as it is today.   One possible solution would be to run the train tender first back to Colgate Grove and then turn just the engine there on the wye.
      Yes......the trolley line still runs out of Orbisonia on the beginnings of the Shade Gap branch.    The length of the run as been increased to run out to but not across Rte 522 and there are a couple of new maintenance buildings on the grounds.
      As far as the railroad running across the high school property,  that will not happen unless the the railroad is re-opened south toward Robertsdale.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

SteamGene

Bob, I thought it was a high school - it's on 522 between Orbisonnia and Mount Union.  I've never been south to Robertsdale - I thought that was where the track ran through a back yard.  In any event, unless the EBT starts running during the week during the school year, it's not going to upset many students.  Maybe a September/October football game...
Does the EBT still own the land where the wye was? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtbob

Gene,

The areas you describe mirror what I have seen,  south of Orbisonia.  Although I have followed the EBT main line to Mt Union,  between Runk's Road,  before Cogate Grove,  and the north end of Shirleysburg is trackage that I have not seen.   Near the north end of Shirleysburg,  the railroad runs right next to a cemetary.
      If you follow the railroad south out of Orbisonia,  the tracks cross thru the front yard of a high school and then cross the Pogue bridge,  largest bridge on the railroad.   After crossing Pogue bridge,  the railroad does go thru some back yards of two or three homes as it enters the town of Three Springs.
      As for the ground at Mt Union,  I do not know what is still owned by the railroad.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtnut

EBT No. 14 is essentially runnable.  However, it must have it's FRA inspection and certification done before it can be legally operated.  As a minimum, that requires stripping down the boiler and doing an ultrasound test every square foot.  The firebox must also be tested in the same way to assure that the metal meets minimum thickness standards. 

As for impediments to going north--there are a couple of big "ifs".  First and foremost is the condition of the concrete bridge over the Aughwick.  There have been a number of big floods through there, and the footers will have to be check for stability.  There is also a short through girder bridge by the Shirleysburg Cemetery that will need inspection/ refurbishment.  One of the floods washed out a chunk of track by the Pump Station.  This will have to have a new pipe installed and have the roadbed fill redone. 

There actually is room to re-install a wye at Mt. Union between the bank and the drug store, assuming the railroad still owns that portion of the property.  The Mount Union Connecting RR (which leases the EBT track in the Mt. Union area) has cleared almost a mile of right-of-way out of Mt. Union, and PennDot had to install a new three-rail crossing of the track when they realigned Rt. 522 to by-pass downtown Mt. Union.  Feasible?  Yes.  Expensive?  Also, yes. 

SteamGene

I did a bit of checking today.  Apparently some years ago a bridge went over, among other things, EBT track which had not been used since 1956.  One bridge pillar would be so close to the track that it would no longe be useable.  Local outcry was such that the bridge got redesigned and built. 
I think there is a lot of love of EBT in the area and passing the hat might bring in a lot of money.  You know about school kids saving the USS Constitution, right?
BTW, there is a high school off 522 between Mt. Union and Orbisonia. 
I guess I'm going to have to head north again this year!  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat