News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoders

Started by superpap, May 07, 2009, 08:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superpap

Does Bachmann make a dcc decoder that incorporates diesel sounds?

rustyrails

I don't believe so.  I do know that they use Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders in their steam engines that come sound-equipped...at least the one I'm buying.
Rusty

superpap

richG

Go look at the below link. I buy from them. They answer email and phone. Very good with DCC. I buy from them. Last I knew, free shipping over $75.00.

Also, search Google for soundtraxx sound diesel  decoders.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm

There is a Yahoo soundtrax group but I do not recommend them anymore. Spammers have figured out how to send spam and phishing email to many members.

Rich

boomertom

Quote from: richG on May 07, 2009, 10:28:01 PM
There is a Yahoo soundtrax group but I do not recommend them anymore. Spammers have figured out how to send spam and phishing email to many members.

Rich

Also, like the yahoo digitrax group, the answers tend to be very technical to the point of being useless to the more technically challenged among us - like me.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

rustyrails

Hey, Rich,
Thanks for the litchfieldstation link.  I have heard good things about them but never managed to get there to take a look.  Good stuff!
Rusty

richG

Hi Rusty

Put the link in your Favorites folder. Anytime someone post a link to a site in these forums, store the link. I find in different forums some people never store the links and keep asking for them.
I sometimes find a forum thread and I save it so I can go right back to the thread of interest in case the tread is buried over time.
Most people will not do this but I sometimes store the thread as an HTML document in my PC. If the forum goes away, I still have the page.
Sometime you might find a page like one of Jim Banner's, you can save the page as an HTML and if Jim's site ever goes away, you have all the data. Real sweet.

I know a couple people who leave the links in their History option and inadvertently clear their History and all their links are gone.

I have a Trains folder with about fifteen different subjects under trains. Maybe a couple hundred links.

I also export the Favorites folder to en external USB storage device. Cannot be too careful with computers. If the PC dies, you still have all your Favorites.

Rich

renniks

Quote from: richG on May 07, 2009, 11:47:34 PM
Hi Rusty

I have a Trains folder with about fifteen different subjects under trains. Maybe a couple hundred links.

I also export the Favorites folder to en external USB storage device. Cannot be too careful with computers. If the PC dies, you still have all your Favorites.

Rich

Forget about small capacity memory 'sticks' and suchlike; the price of external USB hard drives has decreased  greatly.   I have a  350 GB external drive and save EVERYTHING to it including such as Backup files and software  exe files -- still only about 1/3 full. 

Eric UK   

richG

I keep a memory stick with the Favorites file and about a dozen different login names and passwords for quick access when necessary.  I have used an external hard drive for five years for private files. The hard drive is only power up for backups.

Rich

ZombieRules

Excuse me but what decoder  would you use in the n scale bachmann spectrum usra 4 8  2 light mountain ? ???

OkieRick

ZombieRules asked:

"Excuse me but what decoder  would you use in the n scale bachmann spectrum usra 4 8  2 light mountain ? Huh?"

Go to the soundtraxx website and read about Steam Locomotive sounds.  Then go here, bottom of the page

http://soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/index.php?p=1000.php

and listen to the Light, Meduim and Heavy Steam sounds. (click on each to open a window with a description and list of wheel arrangements and the sound control)  Listen to all of it till you hear it restart and disappear in distance.

If you know where your Steam loco was used and what it did there are other options listed.  I would think the Medium Steam TSU-1000 decoder is right for your loco if you have room for it in the tender.  It measures 1.68" x 0.68" x 0.25".  The TSU-750 is 1" x 1/2" x 0.22".

Is your loco a lettered and numbered Spectrum DCC ready unit?  What rail line it is may help you decide.

If no one else offers up information start a topic of your own about which decoder to use.

Luck-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman