News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum connectors

Started by rikc9, March 30, 2007, 08:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikc9

Anyone know a source for  the two and four pin connectors used on the Richmond Spectrum 4-4-0?
No doubt they are used on other Spectrum steam engine models. I like the size. I have looked in Mouser and Digi-Key catalogs but I cannot pin it down. It would be nice to get the connectors with maybe a few inches of wire already installed.
Bachmann will not sell any of the parts and I doubt customer service would know of the source.
Thanks.

rikc9

caboose101

Sorry I don't have a source, but I have thought about the problem myself and want to install quick disconnects between some of my other steamers and their tenders.

I have thought about trying to adapt some of the small cable connectors that come on many computer components, for example the audio cable on a CD-ROM or various motherboard connections.  These are much longer than the Bachmann connectors and most of them are female which mate with pins on the components.

Interestingly, the Bachmann medium Vanderbilt tender comes with a set of 2- and 4-pin extension cables about 1 1/2" long.  As these have female connectors at both ends, I'm not sure just how you are supposed to use them.  The tender couples right up to the 2-8-0 and, I assume other models in the normal way.

A source for some thin, pliable wire would be just as valuable as one for the connectors.

Bob

rogertra

Bob.

If you are trying to swap tenders, which explains why you have two female connectors, you need to swap the circuit board of the Vandy tender with the circuit board from the loco tender you are replacing.

caboose101

Roger,

I'm going to have to revisit this to see what I am missing.  I plugged the Vandy into a stock Bachmann 2-8-0 using the female plugs on the loco and male jacks on the tender and she chugged right off.

I had the Vandy tender apart and also checked the parts list.  It appears to have the same circuit board and male connectors as the original tender.  My railroad operates in a state of genteel poverty and we are still operating on DC, so the circuit boards have shorting jumpers on them.

I just assumed the extension cables were provided in case the existing cables from the loco from a Bachmann loco were too short or you had to locate the tender further back on the drawbar.  The latter may be the case if you try to run the tender on a loco with a long cab roof.  The Vandy's coal bunker is very high.  I tried it first on an ICH Mogul (no Bachmann cables).  The loco-tender separation was too great for 18" radius curves.

I'm still interested in any results from your search for connectors.

Regards,

Bob

rikc9

Quote from: caboose101 on March 30, 2007, 11:01:12 PM
Sorry I don't have a source, but I have thought about the problem myself and want to install quick disconnects between some of my other steamers and their tenders.

I have thought about trying to adapt some of the small cable connectors that come on many computer components, for example the audio cable on a CD-ROM or various motherboard connections.  These are much longer than the Bachmann connectors and most of them are female which mate with pins on the components.

Interestingly, the Bachmann medium Vanderbilt tender comes with a set of 2- and 4-pin extension cables about 1 1/2" long.  As these have female connectors at both ends, I'm not sure just how you are supposed to use them.  The tender couples right up to the 2-8-0 and, I assume other models in the normal way.

A source for some thin, pliable wire would be just as valuable as one for the connectors.

Bob
NWSL and Tony's Trains carry stranded #30 insulated wire. I have Kynar #30 wire wrap wire and is solid and not suggested for this purpose since it will break with some bending. I use this wire where there is no flexing.
I recently bought some small SoundTraxx connectors for another project.
10 Micro-Mini Connectors

* Overall length of connectors plugged together: 1/4"
    * 0.073 diameter at thickest spot.
    * Includes 10 sockets, 10 plugs, heat shrink, instructions
Check Walther's also. Make sure you get stranded wire.

Nothing on the connectors yet. I will continue to look.
rikc9