Will a Bachman K4 4-6-2 Pacific be able to run on 18" curves?

Started by 92hatchattack, May 16, 2009, 06:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

92hatchattack

Hey guys, first post here.

Ive got a little xmas layout  with pretty much just an oval track setup. No crazy s turns or anything, just 18" radius and 2 18" radius switches for sidings.

My question is will a larger locomotive like a Bachman K4 4-6-2 Pacific run ok on 18" track. I hear crazy stuff about people running huge decapods and stuff on 18" but its just so hard to belive. This is about the biggest loco id be looking to run. Will this locomotive run smooth on these curves?

Thanks in advance guys!

Guilford Guy

Alex

Yampa Bob

The Bachmann catalog states: "Performs best on 22" radius....", however the loco will probably run ok on 18", don't know how it will look.

The problem with any trailing truck loco on 18" curves is the cab swings very wide and abruptly to the outside, and due to the greater distance from the rear driver to the drawbar pivot point can actually yank the tender sideways off the rails.

The problem can be corrected by moving the drawbar pivot point forward, and making a longer drawbar, but the Engineer still gets "whiplash".  Therefore my answer to your question is "Maybe". 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bobwrgt

Hi
I have two of them and both have worked fine at all speed for years on 18in radius. I also have 4 heavy and light mountains that also work fine.

Bob