News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BACHMANN SPECTRUM HO J 4-8-4 Dead on Arrival

Started by sbuckley, May 15, 2009, 09:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbuckley

My son's new J 4-8-4 arrived today and seems to be dead on arrival.  The directional lights work, but no motor.  He was devastated.  I contacted the seller, who was very nice, and offered to take it back and give a refund, but he doesn't have a replacement.

Does anyone have any advice for what might be wrong? 

I'm wondering if it is something simple like a common spot where wiring comes loose, special transformer required to power it, etc.

Any help appreciated

Steve

Chris350

it would help to know if this is a DC or DCC locomotive.  Also what if any steps you took between box and track.
  Also email or call Bachmann service directly, they are very good.

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
From which dealer did you buy the loco? If it's a new loco from a dealer, we will replace it.
Which version is it? Do you use DCC?
Let us know.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

sbuckley

Folks

Its a Bachmann Spectrum item number 82104 HO Norfolk & Western Class J 4-8-4 Freight Locomotive Version #603 (with doghouse and auxiliary water tender).

Its described as being "DCC Ready".  I use DC.

In terms of steps from box to track, I simply removed it from the protective packing material and put it on the track.

The front and read directional lights work, but its go no go.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Joe Satnik

Dear Steve,

Do you own a multi-meter?  Do you know how to check for continuity using the Ohms function? (No power in circuit.)

I'm guessing that you have a connection problem between the tender and the loco.   

Here is Yampa Bob's thread on tender wiring.  Yours should be similar. 

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Check for:

Wire(s) broken off the connectors between loco and tender.

Connectors not fully seated. 

DC jumper plug on 8 pin DCC socket (inside tender) missing, loose or shifted.  (Careful removing shell.)

Broken wiring inside tender.

Broken wiring inside loco. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Dear Joe,
Thanks for posting the link, it's nice to know my threads are useful to others. I plan to improve the pictures and expand the thread, but lately have been short on time and motivation.

I think you've covered well the items to check, can't think of anything else. I made what I call a "power stick", just two .015 PB wires soldered to leads and connected to a spare DC pack. The wires fit into the socket at the loco rear to test the motor directly.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Bob, you've got what I've got. A bad case of "spring fever" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yampa Bob

Ya got that right. I can't wait for harvest time to get out of my office. The snow is finally gone, but the fields are too wet to work them.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Cooped

Steve

I had a similar problem with a J 4-8-4 about 6 months ago (directional lights worked, but the loco wouldn't move). I was new into the hobby then, and with the help of several people on this forum diagnosed that it just needed some lubrication and then some significant running in. Can you hear the motor inside humming when you apply power? If so then I think it's trying to work as mine was. Lubricating the coupling rods and valve gear got mine to move, but the best improvement was when I took the engine shell off and lubricated the motor gears inside.

Hope this helps

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

sbuckley

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.

I brought it over to the kind folks at Charles Ro Supply Company in nearby Malden, and the repair guys (and a few customers) spent well over an hour taking the whole locomotive apart trying to figure out what the problem was.

A process of elimination led them to the conclusion that one of the wheels was stuck.  They took the axle nut off, and in fact, found the wheel had been glued in place.  They freed it, scraped off the glue, and it ran great!

They explained sometimes at the factory they take a few shortcuts and us glue to secure the hubs.

I got a "no charge" for repair and will go back there again!

Cooped

Wonderful! I'm wondering now if mine had something similar also that just wore off with the breaking in.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........