News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman "Reversing" track

Started by Paper, May 14, 2009, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper

I am far from stupid but I must be gullible.  I recently purchased a 4 pack of Bachmann "Reversing Track" The description accompaning this track on both Bachmann and dealer sites is totally useless.  I faithfully purchased the track anyway only to find out that the package contains NO INFORMATION that in any way tells me how I can successfully use this track to accomplish what the name "Reversing" implies. There is (on the package) ABSOLUTELY NO suggestion that I need anything other than the track to make my trolley reverse.  Nevertheless, the trolley does not accomplish that feat. 
Please, tell me what I need to make the track work and WHY Bachmann has been so misleading.   

Jim Banner

The Bachman reversing trolley set requires special track if you want to extend the set.  It has extra wires built into it.  Sounds like you bought some of this special reversing track.  If you use regular track with this set, the trolley will not reverse.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Paper

Thank you Jim, but that is my point.  I bought the track and it has absolutely no explanation as to what is needed to make a train/trolley reverse.  If, in fact, you actually unscrew the base cover on the special track, you will find that there is nothing there that would reverse a train.  It is simply two wires connecting one end of the track to the other end of the track with no change in polarity.    As I said, I am not stupid, just trustful or gullible.  Bachman should have the courtesy to explain themselves as to how this track functions in the total picture of Trolley (or whatever) reversing.  My question to Bachmann is "I bought your track, based on your statements ('REVERSING TRACK") Now, you've got my money based on YOUR statements.  So, tell me how to make it work!.  Ray

the Bach-man

Dear Ray,
The reversing streetcar sets feature a circuit, housed in the trolley barn, and a special gapped section at the far end. These must be connected by special track sections. The sections you bought allow you to extend the run.
From the Bachmann catalog:

"Note: this track will not operate as reversing track unless it is used in conjunction
         with set numbers 00401, 00402, 25016, or 25017."

There are other electronics on the market which will also reverse the direction of a train, some with intermediate stops. Here's one:
http://www.railclamp.com/displayCategory.jsp?categoryId=3&vId=99954
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Paper

Thank you mucho.  I suspected that would be the case but I do not have a catalog and the statement you quote is nowhere on the online pages where the product is shown.  I checked several dealer pages as well and found nothing.  that info should be stated on the package, I think. 

I will look into your other control suggestions.  Thank you much. 

PaulDeS

Paper,

I went to Circuitron (same folks that make slow switch machines) and found circuit boards that will allow reversing, delays and intermediate stops for my trolley line. Diagrams are online and worked the first time I powered things up. I use standard track.

It's unfortunate that equipment is often sold without clearly indicating all that is needed to accomplish the end result.

Good luck with your search.

Paul