Installing Oil Tank in bunker of Bachmann HO 3 truck Shay

Started by Train-gang, March 30, 2007, 09:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train-gang

I was just checking out my new Shay which came today and noticed I have an oil tank to install in the bunker behind the cab.  Could anyone tell me how to get it in that cavity?

I  have been gently trying to get it in there but it gets hung up on the cab.  Removed some metal flashing on the back of the tank but is still to tight.  Have not found a screw on the frame below the bunker to loosen in order to get separation between the cab and the bunker.

Sure is a cool looking locomotive.

thanks

Bob

WoundedBear

Wish I could help. I just got one recently as well, but mine came with a coal load. I have the WM Ritter model.

Mine slid in smooth as silk.....sorta slipped the rear edge in first, then rotated it in and down.

But you probably don't want to hear that, do you? ;D

Drop the 2nd truck, and you should see a couple screws that hold the bunker shell to the chassis.

orion762

OK,  I had the same problem and it drove me up the wall!  Here's what needs to be done.  Install the little plank part that slides down into the grooves on the tender.  Then try to install the oil bunker again.  It should go right in.  Don't ask me why, I guess it just lines things up right in a very tight space.  Let me know how it turns out!

Cheers,

RJW

Train-gang

Thanks for your help I got the oil tank installed and even added a train engineer in the cab.  The two screws, hidden by the 2nd truck, once removed made the process so much easier.

This shay did not have a plank part to remove. But than again I could not see those little screws either....

In any case it's a done deal now.  Got a decoder ordered and the tender's apart awaiting its arrival.  Looking forward to running it.

thanks
Bob