News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 "water refill"

Started by Udo, May 18, 2009, 06:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Udo

Hy Bachmann and all!

When I look at my 2-6-6-2 (wich I like very much) and the two people deliverd with this loco,

one question comes up:

How do they reach the filling hole between the sand dome and the steam dome for refill of the water ?

There are no laders / rails or platforms......

I think, it is a very difficult and dangerous job, especially for the small engineer !

May be somebody has an idea to upgrade the loco !?

Udo ;)

glennk28

Good point!  I just checked mine--many of the required safety appliances are not there.    NMRA Data Sheets has a section on US Safety Appliances standards--it is available on the NMRA Info Pak Volume 1.  That will tell yuou what would have been required on a loco for US service.   gj

Udo

Hello All,

don't misunderstand me...

I don't want to apply some safety appliances which are standard for service today.

I just think, also a loco in the original service time would have had some equipment to access the filling point for the water.

So may be somebody has an idea how they did that with qite similar saddle tank locos ?

Thanks,

Udo

mudzuks

what is missing that I have seen in photos is a small foot ledge maybe 6" to 10" wide and a hand hold that ran at about the 10 and 2 oclock position on the tank when veiwed from the from the front it led to a ladder and sometimes a small platform out in front. the ledge and hand hold look ok on photos I have seen but the ladder and platform with guard rail were not very pleasing to the eye.

Jon D. Miller

In reference to access to the water fill on the 2-6-6-2T.

First, do a search for the Black Hills Central.  They operate locomotive #110. The is a Baldwin standard gauge 2-6-6-2T that is very close in design and construction to the narrow gauge 2-6-6-2T proposed for Biles-Coleman.

You will note from the videos of BHC's #110 there are no foot boards, ladders, etc., in the area of the tank.

Also, if you have access check book Articulated Steam Locomotives of North America by Robert A. LeMassena.  Check page 317.  There are two pictures of very similar 2-6-6-2T locomotives, standard gauge, that look like the Bachmann narrow gauge version.

These two locomotives have no foot board, foot steps, or ladders mounted to the tank. 

Guess it would take a trip to the Black Hills Central to see how they get to the water hatch. 

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Cascade Northern

Here is a photo of the Black Hills Central #110 taking on water:

Photo from www.1880train.com

Udo

Hi all,

thanks for the replies.

I think about adding some steps / handrails.

Udo