News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 tender

Started by stj_lc, May 18, 2009, 04:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stj_lc

What size tender comes with the ten wheeler? Looks like the small one. I'm thinking of using the medium coal tender with the 4-6-0 if a speaker/decoder will fit better. I have a Lok Sound decoder and even substituting the 3/4" speaker, there is not room. I'd rather not cut out the board. How long is the medium tender? Are the board and harness included in tender-only purchases? Anyone else tried this?
Thanks Dan

Guilford Guy

To my knowledge, you'll have remove the circuit board and transfer it to the new tender.
By the way, I commend your choice on a username. Are you Modeling StJ & LC?
Alex

jerryl

I know Tony's Train exchange did put sound in the small tender.  Must be a tight fit, I had trouble putting a decoder in one.  Jerry

Pacific Northern

There are two 4-6-0's. The High Boiler with the 63" drivers and the Low Boiler with the 52" drivers.

The small tender belongs to the 52" model and there are two tenders, both very similar to the regular medium coal tender that goes with the 63" engine.
Pacific Northern

BillD53A

There are two 4-6-0s and three tenders.  I own locos with all 3 tenders.

Yampa Bob

If you're considering swapping tenders, you might want to read the following thread through the 6th post.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ta152h0

feel for you, man. I finally decided not to butcher the tender so i got an early period flat car and mounted the decoder and speaker on it. Now i have to figure out how to butcher the log load i am planning to hide the stuff with.

stj_lc

Yes, I am modeling the SJLC and other RRs that connected in the bustling hub of St. Johnsbury, VT.

Thanks all for the info. Roundhouse is reissuing 34' cars that might work to hide the decoder/speaker.
Dan

Guilford Guy

Quote from: stj_lc on May 20, 2009, 02:28:42 PM
Yes, I am modeling the SJLC and other RRs that connected in the bustling hub of St. Johnsbury, VT.

Thanks all for the info. Roundhouse is reissuing 34' cars that might work to hide the decoder/speaker.
Dan
Fun Stuff!
I model the final successor of the St J & LC. What era are you modeling? Didn't they have a few B&M 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-8-0/4-6-2s?
Alex

stj_lc

There are instructions out there that start with removing the plug and pcb, but the wiring is not NMRA compliant and I can't tell if the there are color coded dots on all the black wires. Since I'm new at this, I want to use the plug.

A couple of you mentioned that you have the different size tenders. Could you give the lengths?

Guilford--I'm modeling 1950-ish--m.u. 70 tonners, E-7 Alouettes, and lots of milk.
dan

Guilford Guy

Oh cool!
You might enjoy the first few frames in that. Shame they took down most of the covered bridges, although its great the Fisher survives.
http://www.bedforddepot.org/Boardman/Boardman_Preview_4F.html
Alex

Yampa Bob

I use the Bachmann USRA medium tender with all my 2-8-0. Box measures 4 inches long, room for a full size sound decoder. Best place for the speaker is under the coal load.

The tender has the male connector on the front, but a female / female harness is included if the male connector is mounted on the locomotive.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.