Looking for a trading post in this wilderness

Started by bob39520, May 18, 2009, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob39520

Is there a place (on the WEB) where one can trade or buy items from other model RR people. Not the big auction places (ie. ebay) but just a site for posting stuff for trade or a want list. For example, I have been looking for a tender for my 0-6-0 switcher. Nothing special, just a little tender. Can't find one. Also, want to trade a new Spectrum 'ho' 4-4-0 dcc loco for something.
Emailed my NMRA Division chair and my region Member Aid Chair for some direction ... no help. I have been a model RR guy for about 5 months now but I thought some of you old timers could provide some direction.
Pelahatchie Bob

Tylerf

I don't know about your area but here in Calgary we have an annual flea market and an auction for guys like you who want to trade out old stuff for other old stuff and they're great events. Look around in your area for similar events in your area.

jettrainfan

Quote from: Tylerf on May 18, 2009, 09:42:21 PM
I don't know about your area but here in Calgary we have an annual flea market and an auction for guys like you who want to trade out old stuff for other old stuff and they're great events. Look around in your area for similar events in your area.

Yeah i get most of my stuff from flee markets. I got a good 2-6-2 tank engine for a good price. I could see why you don't want eBay. Half don't know what the item is! I quit eBay for a reason you know. Anyway an area trade/buy....hmmmm....i have seen a few websites with makers(bachmann,walthers etc.) have special areas for  auctions/trades but they are small, 5-20 people at a time. Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Chris350

There is an online market place, I've looked at it, and didn't bookmark it.. DOH!  Y Bob or one of the other regulars will probably know it.

jward

there is a group on yahoo called ho yard sale. i am not a member, but i will be talking to somebody who is later to-night. i will try to get an address for you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Daylight4449

what would you want for your 4-4-0, i might trade.

Chris350

Quote from: jward on May 19, 2009, 09:04:22 AM
there is a group on yahoo called ho yard sale. i am not a member, but i will be talking to somebody who is later to-night. i will try to get an address for you.
This is the one I was thinking of... I had a b----- of a time getting Yahoo to sign me up, so I'I passed on it.  I have heard good things however.

jward

here is the link i promised.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HOYARDSALE/
note that you have to have a yahoo account to join this group.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bob39520

Thanks to all for your advise and help.

I live in a small town (Pelahatchie Mississippi), we have no flea markets, hobby shops or model train folks that I could find in my area. My NMRA rep suggested that I go to an annual sale in Georgia. As we say around here, that seemed like too much sugar for a dime.

Anyway, thanks again.
Pelahatchie Bob

Jim2903

HO Yard Sale on Yahoo is a great place. I've been able to sell quite a few things and pick up some stuff as well.
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

OkieRick

Daylight4449 sais:

what would you want for your 4-4-0, i might trade.

Is this your day or what.  You caught me in great spirits glad to be alive on this good Earth on a sunny day in Oklahoma.

I have a Henweigh I'm willing to give away if you pay postage.

Okie
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Daylight4449

what ever a henwheigh is, if it is steam, i will take it.

Mike

Rick- What's a henweigh?   5 pounds or so??

Chris350

Quote from: Mike on May 21, 2009, 12:06:22 AM
Rick- What's a henweigh?   5 pounds or so??
'pends.. it still gots all it's feathers?

OkieRick

I have both - feathered and plucked.   :D

And yep, a Henweigh around here is 3-5 lbs.

I was afraid this thread was going to turn into a "I'll gve you $x.xx  for your _______."  Advertising and selling are against the cod of conduct. 

Daylight4449, I didn't want youi to get in hot water with the boss here.

Luck-

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman