News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track problem

Started by pjf, May 26, 2009, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjf

I have a small layout with 7 "turn outs". Some of them snap to position when switched but 3 or 4 will bounce back a bit and not locked in. Consequently I get lots of derailment. Is there something I can fix or these turn outs are defective.  Hope someone can help, thank you.
Peter

Joe Satnik

Dear pjf,

Are your poor performers father away from the power source than your good performers?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jowalmer

DCC turnouts?

If they are DCC snap switches, this might work:  Pull off the bottom cover carefully located under the moving part of the track.  take notice of how the mechanism is assembled so that if a part comes off you'll know how to reassemble.  There is a gear that moves an arm.  I found the thin part of the arm that actually engages the slider connected to the track was slightly bent, therefore, the 'throw' was biased to one side.  I gently bent this arm to give it a tiny bit more throw to the weaker side.  You might even play with the positinoning of the gear against the arm as the two don't necessaryily allign in the neautral position, at least mine didn't.

Finally, the snap switch needs to be filed at the pick points as well as the bottom of the pick point as it is flanged at the bottom and can hang up when it moves over to the rail; you'll see it lift up a bit when it hits the rail. 

If it is not DCC snap switch, then disregard the above.

Santa Fe buff

Let's see, sanding the flanges, look at it yourself, it all seems to cover the basics. Where are your turnouts located? If they're located close enough for you to reach them with little or no stretching, try manuals for those. I'm going to have mostly manuals on mine, sine my layouts is only a 4x8. A bigger operation, like Ryan's, my friend, layout, you may need a few remotes. I would personally like to use Slow-Motion switch machines mounted underneath the layout strung together, but on a separate system of activation; therefore, I can simply use them without taking up CV space, same power of course. You should check the following:

-Clearance, touched up upon, in a good way.
-Power, mentioned.
-The Mechanism, already mentioned.

I personally think something in it may cause it to 'recoil' a bit, which I would check out.

Not much of an expert, but I do like to add some information if I may!

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rustyrails

I don't use EZ track, but I am curious.  Aren't these turnouts sort of expensive?  Does Bachmann give the same life-time guarantee as it does with the engines?  Just my personal opinion, but I think I'd be pretty reluctant to keep buying turnouts, that, in pjf"s experience, have a 50% failure rate.

The mechanism has to move the throw rod more than the distance required to throw the points.  The resulting overthrow, buffered by a spring (usually the throw rod, itself) will hold the points closed.  You can demonstrate this positive pressure between the points and the stock rail as follows:  use your fingernail or a small screwdriver blade to move the point slightly away from the stock rail.  Let go.  The points should snap back and stay against the stock rail.  If the points don't behave this way, then I would assume that the switch is defective.

Rusty

pjf

Thank you very much for the responces.
Power is OK.
They are DC switches.
I will look at the mechanism and follow your suggestions.
Will report back when successfully completed.

I went with the EZ track because I like the look.  I only have 7 turnouts so $20 a pop is not that costly. Unfortunately they each preform differently and I am not happy with all of them. I am sure Bachmann would look after me but shipping them back is a hassle.
I will try to fix them if I can.

PS. may be I get too much power or high voltage because the switch snaps quick and hard and that makes it bounce back.
Peter

mf5117

I had problems also with my Bachmann # 5 switches ,not closing all the way . I had 12 in series , the switches farthest down stream , I had to go to a larger wire 20g to the switches . And divide my control board in 1/2 . 6 in series 6in series . with the #5's and the standards ,with there own power source .

The Bachmann extention cord #44598 was to small . I did cut and use both plugs from them on spdt-co micro switches . And they do work fine now .

Also  i had 4 of them #5 turnouts to close together .and had derailings .And had to move them . And make adjustments to the layout . 2 of the grey road beds had positive camber "HUMPS" . And had to buy 2 new ones .  peace to all