News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RF-16 DCC Question

Started by rockrailsnsnow, May 19, 2009, 11:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockrailsnsnow

Good Evening,
I have 4 PRR RF-16 sharks ( a-b-b-a)  DCC equipped. A units are  Bachmann #61802.
I can not find any documentation on the decoders other than they are NMRA/NEM compliant.
Specifically, is CV 19 supported?  I would like to advance consist them.
Is there a pdf that can be downloaded that I can not locate listing the CV's  supported?
Thanks in advance.
Michael
Boalsburg, PA

Yampa Bob

Hi Michael,
Here's a link to the Bachmann decoder instruction PDF, supported CVs are listed on page 2.  Note that CV19 is supported.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rockrailsnsnow

Bob,
Thanks.  I looked through that PDF, but the decoder in the Sharks are hard wired PCB's, not the 1amp black-wrapped NMRA 8-pin plug-in type.
I was able to write to CV 19 OK, but there is no response to the advanced consist # programmed.  I was able to program a four digit address successfully without any problems in OPS mode.  Am using Digitrax Zephyr with a DT400 for programming.
I was hoping the BachMan would chime in to confirm the PCB has the same specs or if there is some other documentation with different specs and supported CV's.
Cheers,
Michael
Boalsburg, PA

Yampa Bob

Michael,
The specs should be the same for the board version. As to programming a Bachmann non-sound decoder with Zephyr, I think the workaround is to "place a 1000 Ohm resistor across the programming track."  Please stay tuned, Jim Banner and others will be in with more details.

I have the Bachmann EZ Command, which means I understand CVs, just not on "speaking terms" with them.  :D

Bob

rockrailsnsnow

Bob,
Used that trick before, but I was able to write to cv17,18 and 29 in OPS mode without the resistor, so I assumed if CV19 is supported it would also program without.
I suspect it is a very basic decoder with only the mandatory NMRA CV's active.
Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that, or enlighten me and help figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Michael
Boalsburg, PA

Yampa Bob

Jim just logged off, guess he needs his beauty sleep.  :D

If no one else comments, check back tomorrow. Oops, it is "tomorrow".   8)

Good luck and good morning.

Jim Banner

Hey Bob, a guy's got to sleep sometime!!  As for beauty sleep, that is something I need lots of.

The 1k resistor is required only for reading back CVs on the programming track.  In OPs mode, there is no readback and no need for the resistor.  Without readback, you are never quite sure if a programming step was successful until you try the decoder and see if the desired change has taken place.  If it has not, then either there was an error in programming or the CV that you are trying to program does not exist in that decoder.  As programming other CVs was successful, your lack of success with CV19 indicates that these decoders do not support it.  Fortunately, you have two other methods of consisting available to you - basic and universal.  Unfortunately, universal consisting will take up 4 of your 10 available slots.

I really like advanced consisting.  I can set it up even as the locomotives are approaching one another.  And when it comes to breaking up a consists, all I have to do is clear CV19 without worrying what the locomotive was previously consisted with.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rockrailsnsnow

Hey, Mr BachMan....
Any input as to where I can find/get documentation for these RF-16 decoders, or at least can you tell me which CV's are supported ??????
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Boalsburg, PA

Yampa Bob

Hi Michael,
I share your frustration. Having nothing to do today, I searched the net for hours and didn't find any information on the RF-16 CVs. You would think that someone out there would have the list.

Rangerover

I'm new at this programming cv's but I've never been able to consist using Bachmann decoders. I do it the old fashioned way also as Jim Banner stated. In fact I haven't found a way to address any cv's with the Bachmann decoder's as far as speed steps either.

That NCE decoder board that Bob recommends seems like the way to go!

rockrailsnsnow

Bob,
Thanks for the research and info!
Actually, I think Bachmann has done a great job in supplying a basic decoder.  They seem to operate at 128 ss very smoothly with good speed control and directional lights.  If I find out anything more I will post it.
The truth is I was pleased with their operation, so I installed them into an ABA set of Proto diesels for a friend who just wanted some basic DCC.  Am very pleased with their operation, just would like to advance consist them as he is using the EZ-DCC control.  I suppose I could just assign them all the same address.  Perhaps later this week I can take my DCS50 and laptop and see what I can find/program with DecoderPro.
My sharks are getting LokSound units in the two A's and LokPilots in the B's.  I thought having all four decoders of the same manufacturer would be easier to get them all to play nice together!
Cheers and Thanks and Prayers to ALL who have and are serving our Country!
Michael
Boalsburg, PA

rockrailsnsnow

Rangerover,
FYI...I am able to use universal consisting with these Bachmann decoders on my Digitrax and  NCE system without any problem.  It is the Advanced (CV19) I am wrestling with.  Just wanted that for convenience.
Hope this helps,
Michael
Boalsburg, PA

Rangerover

Michael

You can consist with them, but I speed match before I address them with Bachmann decoders. If you have the Bachmann disc it describes how to do this.

Remove all other loco's from the track, unless you have a separate program track. Place the forward facing loco on the track, make sure the direction led is forward, program it to the desired entry # (5 example). Remove it from the track.

Place the trailing loco on the track, backwards (if preferred), this time make sure the reverse led is lit, program it to the same # (5). If you desire the trailing loco to be positioned cab forward, make sure the led forward light is lit and enter it.

3rd and 4th loco's or how many in the consist same way.

Put them all on the track connected and go!

Some reason I really don't think this is what you are looking for.

I have no fault with Bachmann installed decoders either for easy out of the box running either in DC or DCC. I just like playing with CV's.

Rangerover

Quote from: rockrailsnsnow on May 24, 2009, 11:31:58 AM
Rangerover,
FYI...I am able to use universal consisting with these Bachmann decoders on my Digitrax and  NCE system without any problem.  It is the Advanced (CV19) I am wrestling with.  Just wanted that for convenience.
Hope this helps,
Michael
Boalsburg, PA

OOPS... we entered the same time. Now I understand, you've got me curious though, I have Decoder Pro and going to put one on the track and see. Thanks though, I'm just learning all this stuff!

Yampa Bob

Michael,
I did some more searching today, this time on the UK sites.

http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/bachdieselcvsettings4mm.htm

I have a suspicion that the decoder boards used in Bachmann diesels are intended primarily for the European market. This is a quote I copied from one site.

"Note that this decoder has been designed for the European market where multi-locomotive formations are uncommon and does not support CV 19 consist."

Perhaps this is the reason NCE introduced the Bach-DSL boards as a replacement.