News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

heavy steam

Started by Daylight4449, May 21, 2009, 08:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

what is the biggest loco that i can get on my 18 inch curves. i would like a big steam loco to run and to use in heavy freight

rustyrails

I'm getting one of PD's headaches.  sheesh.   Actually, I read that Athearn's big articulated (is it a Big Boy?)  will go around an 18" radius curve.  I have no personal experience with that engine, but she sure is BIG.  Also, any of the Rivarossi articulated engines can handle 18" radius curves.  I'd double-head an SP cab forward by Rivarossi and the Athearn Genesis UP loco.  That'd be something.   :o 
Rusty

Guilford Guy

NYO&W had Heavy 4-8-2s, and 2-10-2s. I've heard that the bachmann models can negotiate 18" radius, but the trackwork must be flawless.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyow/nyow-s403ahv.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyow/nyow-s360ahv.jpg
AFAIK, NYSW didn't have anything larger than a 4-6-2 or 2-10-0.
On a similar note, NYSW 2461 has a high headlight.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nysw/nysw-s2461ajz.jpg
Alex

Daylight4449

while i am modeling the nys&w, i am not so keen to stick true to roster.

rallygsc

Hello Daylight  ;D

Rustyrails is right about the rivarossi stuff, almost all of it can negotiate 18" curves, the alleghny ( I Mispelled it ) cannot.

I would recommend 22" over 18" though, the larger steam locomotives seem to roll smoother on it.

the IHC 2-10-2 and 4-8-2 will handle 18" radius curves, I don't recommend doing it with the bachmann 2-10-2,

I used 22" on my old layout, now I am using 28" and 33" , the trains can run at faster speeds and it looks a lot better on the wider radius,

just a thought

take care
George

Pacific Northern

I would recommend that you consider the Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-6-2. This gem of a steamer is articulated so at least the overhang is kept to a minimum as the drivers for the engine are articulated.

This engine is only slightly larger that the 2-10-2.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=2013
Pacific Northern

jbsmith

I can tell from first hand experience that the Niagara,Berkshire and Praire
by Bachman can handle 18" curves with no problem so long as the track
is level and smooth the the sections join up.
Of the three I mention the Niagara is the largest.
As for the other larger steamers,,no comment,,,,don't own any.

FPVonk

Hello, I bought the Telescoped Northern 4-8-4 & Tender (Operating Headlight) Road Name: Santa Fe #3777 (1940s - 1950s).
Can you tell me the minimum curve radius for this Locomotive. Can you also tell me when I purchase more locomotives in the future where I can find this.
Also I want to know if I put in a decoder with DCC and sound if I should take out the print which is already in the loco, and I do not mean the DCC decoder. The Loco will be run on DCC.

Greetings From Holland.

Fred Vonk

Chuck S

Quote from: FPVonk on May 25, 2009, 11:46:25 AM
Hello, I bought the Telescoped Northern 4-8-4 & Tender (Operating Headlight) Road Name: Santa Fe #3777 (1940s - 1950s).
Can you tell me the minimum curve radius for this Locomotive. Can you also tell me when I purchase more locomotives in the future where I can find this.
Also I want to know if I put in a decoder with DCC and sound if I should take out the print which is already in the loco, and I do not mean the DCC decoder. The Loco will be run on DCC.

Greetings From Holland.

Fred Vonk

Hello Fred,

Was that the Bachmann 4-8-4 Santa Fe you purchased? I have two Bachmann Southern Pacific GS4 Northern 4-8-4 locos and they do not like 18 curves or #4 turnouts.  They tolerate 22 curves but look unrealistic.

The manufacturers web site should list the minimum recommended curve radius. You could always contact the manufacturer and ask if you cannot find the information you want. Some manufacturers list it in the instructions that come with the loco, some on the box

As for your last question, I believe you mean the printed circut board. Yes, it will be replaced by the decoder unless it is dcc ready. There will be an 8 pin plug adapter that the decoder will plug into if it is dcc ready.

Hope this helps,

Chuck S

rustyrails

In the old days we figured something like this:

15" rad:  0-4-0T, 0-4-0, 0-6-0T (blind center driver) and 40' cars  (very sharp)
18" rad:  0-6-0, 0-8-0, 2-4-0, 2-6-0,  2-8-0, 4-4-0, 4-4-2, 4-6-0    (sharp)
               4 axle diesels
24" rad:  4-6-2, 2-8-2, 2-10-0 , 4-6-4, 2-8-4, 4-8-4, etc.               (conventional)             
               6 axle diesels, passenger cars           
30" rad:  the articulateds, steam turbines, etc.                            (broad) 

I know I've left a couple out, and I know that these numbers have no relation to today's equipment, since just about everything will run on 18 or at least 22 inch radius curves.  But....if you sort of follow the above guide lines, most locomotives will probably not derail on every curve and they will not look too bad. 

uncbob

If you are using a 4X8 set up I would go with a 22" and have all sidings off the inside of the track --22" is much better

grumpy

Having one I know that the Athern Challenger  goes around 18" curves very nicely. The Mantua 2-6-6-2 in both configurations also navigate the 18" curves with ease.
Don

WGL

Daylight, the RFD TV channel's Trains & Locomotives program last week was a history of the SP Daylight.  I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

Bill

FPVonk

Thank's for reply, yes I have a 4-8-4 Santa Fe. So I can run in at minimum 24" (610 mm) radius. The Locomotive game with DCC on Board but I am Putting in a DCC decoder with sound.  The decoder will be a Soundtrax decoder which has sound and DCC in all. I have to look how I should Program the address 4-digit (loco #3777) with my Prodigy Advance 2 DCC from MRC. May be there is someone that can give me some hints in this.
Greetings from The Netherlands.

Fred Vonk