News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-8-2 heavy mountain derail problem

Started by LarrySmith, March 31, 2007, 02:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarrySmith

I have just purchased today a Spectrum heavy mountain 4-8-2 #82501 in a factory sealed box.  Putting it on the tracks for the first time the tender wants to derail on 22" rad curve and the engine wants to derail/ jump up on the frog of turnouts.  None of my other engines do this - Bachmann 2-6-0, 2-6-2 and several other steamers.

Is this a break-in problem? Are parts too tight and binding?  My track is in guage and other engines do not have a problem.  Please advise.

Thank you
Larry Smith

rogertra

Big engine,small radius curves and too sharp switches.

With 22 inch curves you want to stick with smaller steam engines, B-B diesels and 40ft maximum freight cars.

Not much help to you now though.

Stephen Warrington

My ICRR version 4-8-2 will handle22 inch radius curves but at very slow speeds and nothing smaller than a #6 Atlas custom line turnout, don't even try it on a #4 custom line and goodness forbid a Snap switch with a 18" radius. Mine had a warning in the box do not operate on nothing smaller than 22" radius. I got a Bachmann 4-8-4 spec J and it don't like nothing smaller than 24" radius. And if your curves are not laid perfect forget 22" radius.

Stephen

Virginian

It is not a break in issue.  Check your wheel gauge on all the wheels.  Is the tender hitting the engine on curves?  Which hole of the drawbar are you trying to use?  If you are going to run large steam locomotive models, you better get used to checking details and understanding everything about how they work.  Also, be advised that the bigger and better you go, the better your trackwork will need to be.

Everyone keeps saying "Factory Sealed" like it is some kind of holy grail or something.  I guess everyone does not realize that tons of people and places have the little machines so they can shrink wrap and seal ANY box, just like the factories do.  Until the factories start using some type of "watermarked" or logo embossed plastic, all sealed means anymore is that the box won't pop open if you drop it.
"What could have happened... did."

Atlantic Central

Larry,

similar to what others have said, you need very smooth track to run that loco on 22" radius, and #6 turnouts. Check the wires between the loco and tender to make sure they are not binding and add about 2 oz of weight to the tender.

I have 5 Bachmann Heavy Mountains, they all run great. But my curves are all 36" and larger.

Sheldon

lanny

Larry,

I agree with what others have said about 22" being pretty tight for the 4-8-2 heavy mountain. I have one and it is probably, overall, the best running steamer I have (including a couple BLI's) ... but it does need wider radius. If you stay with 22", your track work has to be as close to 'perfect' as humanly possible. And, as others have said, definitely #6 turnouts unless you want to do some carving on the tender where it meets the roof.

One other thing ... even on my 32-36" min rad. layout, there is one spot that my Spec  Mountain tender truck always derails ... but only when it is going in one direction. Opposite direction never derails. That is a 'trackwork issue' ... I need to do some careful leveling and adjusting because my track work is 'less then perfect' and even that description is probably a compliment  :D

You have one of the very best HO steamers on the market ... dont' get discouraged or give up. I would work with your track first to make sure it is perfect ... then move on to the more technical wheel guage, etc. things to check.

hope you get it running well. you'll really like it!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

BaltoOhioRRfan

I can run all 4 of my heavy mountains through a 22 inch curve at around 40-50 SMPH no problems(well one has one but its an issue with apump i added above the pilot truck, keeps hitting it i mounted it too low)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF