Packaging of Standard Engines and the new Red Box Spectrum

Started by Pacific Northern, May 22, 2009, 05:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I have a complaint to lodge with Bachmann.

I have just received the Standard Bachmann DCC equiped Berkshire #50949.

Upon inspecting this unit I found that  the engine suffered some damage in transit. The bell was loose laying in the box and the bell hangar damaged.

Having only purchased Spectrum engines until now I am surprised at how Bachmann is packaging the standard line engines. Had this engine been packed with the protective foam inserts I think it would have arrived intact.

Has anyone else ordered standard line engines that were damaged in the mail during transit?

I contacted the Bachmann Service department, but if they are not stocking replacment parts I guess there is little they can do.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

I found a loose horn in the box of a GP40, but I was able to stick it back on. I actually like the smaller packaging for storage purposes, and it probably keeps the price reasonable.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

PN,
Can you show a picture of the packaging?
I have several "Loose" packaging materials from prior purchases.
Thanks...

Pacific Northern

Quote from: hotrainlover on May 23, 2009, 12:13:53 PM
PN,
Can you show a picture of the packaging?
I have several "Loose" packaging materials from prior purchases.
Thanks...

Sorry no pics,

My point is that the Spectrum's were packed in a very shock resilient foam rubber liner and the Standards are packed in the hard plastic container form fitting box which has much less shock resiliency. Hence the damaged bell hanger and the bell laying loose.

The old Bachmann Plus engines were also packed in the foam rubber material.

This new packing is, I just realized, is also applicable to the  Spectrum line.  A Spectrum Tender that I had ordered,  just arrived, and it too is packed in a new red box instead of the old black box, and also has the hard plastic form fitted insert instead of the old foam rubber.

Pacific Northern

dapper d

My first steam loco, "Spectrum K4 4-6-2", arrived yesterday, Red Box,.  The whistle was broke and one of the hand rails on the back of the Engine was missing.  I managed to glue the whistle back in place and later found the rail on the floor where I unpacked the unit.  Very disappointed.  Not sure if this is quality control or packaging related.  Being a newbie I was overwhelmed with trying to mate the tender to the engine (no instructions) as the drawbar would not go into the tender unless it was disassembled with only the exploded diagram to help. (not much help) After completing this task and reassembly I set up a small test oval only to get no movement and blinking short out lights on the power pack.  I checked all the connectors on the loco (plug ins) and ran a diesel around to make sure of the track and power unit.  Not a good day for an old newbie.

Dapper D

Pacific Northern

The new packaging is a reminder to me of my buying a number of Intermountain F3 diesel sets and when each one arrived the pilot was broken.

The packaging did not protect the engine adequately when in the mail, Intermountain eventually modified the pilot by having the receiver assemble the piece that normally broke in transit. Intermountain, when contacted me did supply new pilots but you have the hassle of pointing and gluing on what is a RTR.

Will wait and see how the Spectrum engines in their new boxes travel as far as damage.

I have a second laylout planned and have just started to acquire some On30 Spectrum steamers. They are in the new Packaging I think, will be most nervous about their condition until they arrive.
Pacific Northern

mudzuks

Are all the spectrums made and packed in china? If this is so I would believe that the problem mostly is when they are being packed, not in shipment these poor people usually get paid piece work and are forced to pay for things they damaged, so mums the word if something pops off during packaging.

Jeff

RAM

Pacific Northern

I would assume that the old foam rubber material is more expensive then the new formed plastic liners now in use.  Hence, another cost cutting measure.

One thing is certain, the number of complaints to  Bachmann will increase, due to the increase in buyers receiving damaged units. If enough units are damaged and their costs increase perhaps we may see the return of the foam liners.
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I will pass along your concerns.
In the meantime, you may return models damaged in transit.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on June 04, 2009, 10:37:15 PM
Dear All,
I will pass along your concerns.
In the meantime, you may return models damaged in transit.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

What with the cost of shipping cosmetic I can repair it myself, I will purchase a couple of detail parts to replace the parts broken in transit.

My point is that your new packaging with the vacuum formed plastic does not absorb the shock of the bumps etc that the foam did.

I just received amother couple of new Spectrum engines in the new packaging and there are loose pieces galour in the boxes.

Lucky that the engines run fine just that each of the engine's shed a couple of detail parts while in transit. 

I find myself checking out the competition more carefully as they still use the foam for packing.
Pacific Northern