News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Restoring Old Auto Carriers

Started by portsidemikeee, May 11, 2009, 01:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portsidemikeee

I have (6)  old Bachman Tri Level auto carriers. All are in various stages of being worn out. I have worked out the mechanical phase of restoring them (IE: Couplers, trucks etc) . What I need now is to know where I can find replacement decals. I have a Microscale catalog but they do not offer any that will work. Do you have any suggestions?

ta152h0

They had an episode in the past on Tracks Ahead where they showed how the railcar manufacturesrs painted the cars they manufactured. Come to think of it it was never shown directly how they went from a paint bucket to a finished car, althought it was somewhat obvious a silk screening process was involved. As far as decals go, it is very hard to find specific decals when you need them. I find that sometimes it takes a long time to finish the proiject and needed parts are found on ebay and garage sales. If I was a mechanical genius i probably could modify an inkjet printer to accomplish the task, maybe  ;D

Chris350

You mentioned Microscale, have you looked at their website directly?  You might get lucky there.  Another alternative would be dry transfer markings.  I do not have links to any sources only know that they may cover more exotic ground.

jbsmith

Just off the top of me head,,I thought i saw somewheres,,,,Decal Printer paper,,just load it into to a compter printer and print up you own decals!,,may be worth further investigation.
Good luck!

Chris350

Quote from: jbsmith on May 22, 2009, 11:15:12 PM
Just off the top of me head,,I thought i saw somewheres,,,,Decal Printer paper,,just load it into to a compter printer and print up you own decals!,,may be worth further investigation.
Good luck!
I've thought of this as well, but have yet to look into how one makes inkjet prints waterproof.  I foresee a nice set of custom markings dissolving into a swirl of hypnotic colors.. I know this is preventable, I just haven't looked into it yet.

Jhanecker2

Check out Micro-Mark, I believe that they had inkjet printable decal sheets and also the waterproofing coating .  John II.

Chuck S

Hi,

My local Hobby Lobby offers the printable decal sheets in the section where the model paints are located.  I can't remember the brand for sure, but I believe it was a Testor's product.

HTH,

Chuck S

jbsmith

Chuck is right! It is Testors!  That is where I saw it!
Link below

http://www.testors.com/search?q=decal+&x=35&y=21