News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale wheels for Big Hauler

Started by Larry200, May 25, 2009, 01:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry200

I notice there are two sizes of replacement wheels sold by Bachmann (Large 31.0 mm #92421 and small 24.5 Mm #92422). Which ones do I use for BH freight and/or passenger cars? I recently purchased a used Emmett Kelly Circus Train and it has plastic wheels that I want to replace. ???

Jon D. Miller

Use the 31.0mm No. 92421 metal wheel sets.  These are direct replacements for the plastic wheels on the equipment you have.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Larry200

Thanks. Are the 31 mm used on all BH rolling stock? What are the small 24.5 mm wheels used on?

mudzuks

Some of the 1:20.3 20' gondolas listed in the big hauler catgory use the smaller wheels.you can tell by the trucks which one they are. there may be others I only have the 20 footers kitbashed a boober caboose using the small trucks and it turned out nice.

Jeff

Larry200

Jeff - Thanks alot. I'll stick with the smaller size. None of that info seems to be on the Bachmann site. BTW I'll bet you meant "bobber".

Jon D. Miller

Larry,
You might want to re-think using the small diameter wheels on the "standard" bachmann freight trucks and passenger car trucks.

The littlle, undersized freight cars, listed by Bachmann as being 1:20.3 are really small.  Their trucks are small and as such the smaller diameter wheels work due to truck size.

The small 24.5 mm wheels are used on the 95xxx series cars as listed above. They are also used on Bachmann side dump and V-dump cars, 92xxx series.

For all other Bachmann 1:22.5 equipment, both freight and passenger, the larger 31.0 mm diameter wheels are used.  I think you'll find better tracking with less derailment problems using the larger diameter wheels. 

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Larry200

JD,
I mis-wrote. I meant I'll stick w/larger size. Thanks again for the complete explanation of the two wheel sizes.
Larry

mudzuks

Yeah I meant bobber Heh HEh...  the smaller wheels do go in smaller trucks as mentioned, I personally have not had problems with tracking or derails but i do notice the wheels do not go over the frogs as smoothly which appears to be from a slightly smaller flange on the smaller wheels, my layout is logging and mining so I stay at lower scale speeds

jeff

altterrain

Small wheels typically on the two axle ore cars and such -

Here are a small wheels on the BH ore car with Delton trucks for a special project -

-Brian
President of

Loco Bill Canelos

I have put the small wheel sets on my skeleton log cars, boy do  they look great with the smaller wheels!!     

After I saw Wade Colyers skeleton log cars with the smaller wheels, I just had to do it!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!