News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My New BlueLine SD40-2

Started by WGL, May 22, 2009, 05:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

Four months after I pre-ordered it, my BlueLine DC with sound SD40-2 UP arrived.  Monday, Tony's Train Exchange called to say that they were ready to ship, but my credit card had expired.  I was told that some BLI preorders take 3 years.  I suppose some of the customers expire during that time!

After running it in DC, I installed a Digtrax DN143IP DCC decoder.  Since I'd left my BlueLine DC with sound Heavy Mikado on address 3 after I'd installed a DCC decoder, I wondered whether the separate sound & DCC decoders would work at a different address.  I had no problem changing the SD40-2's address from default 3 to 4 with EZ Command.  I also changed the 4-wire plug from J1 to J7, because I wanted to be able to turn the lights on & off from my EZ Command.

I like its horn!  It sounds like what I hear, clearly, from the railroad a mile away from inside our house with the windows closed.

One of the oscillating ditch lights does not come on.  I think both worked in DC.  I'll wait a day before removing the couplers & shell & putting all that back together again.

jettrainfan

Sounds like a nice diesel! ;) I went to look some up and found they got N.S. for it too Along with Santa Fe(i mainly railroad those.). They were both sold out on the first site :'(. The 2nd only had N.S. but it had pictures. Nice units! I will have to get 2 for N.S. soon!!! :) :) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

WGL

I solved the problem with the ditch lights by moving the 4-wire plug back from J7 to J1.  I can still turn the headlights on & off, but the ditch lights remain on. 

While it creeps smoothly, its Digitrax DN143IP, like the one in my BlueLine Heavy Mikado, needs to have momentum programmed into it.  I gave it the same address as my Spectrum SD45 for possibly running them in consist occasionally.  However, the Spectrum pulls my 14-car UP train at a top speed of 80 HO mph, but the BlueLine SD40-2 pulls it at a top speed of 100!  I wish I'd known what Jim Banner just posted at the thread DC to DCC Conversion, that some Digitrax decoders come with BEMF, which "stands for Back ElectroMotive Force."

WGL

The front & back platforms on the SD40-2 are much bigger than on my SD45s.  Does anyone know why they were built with more space?

Tylerf

I'm not sure exactly why sd40-2 end walkways are extended and I'm also curious to find out but I do know the sd40-2 is the only locomotive with that extension.

pdlethbridge

wikipedia gave the answer.
"Just as the SD38, SD39, SD40, and SD45 shared a common frame, so too did the SD38-2, SD40-2, and SD45-2. It was 3 ft (0.91 m) longer than the previous models, giving an overall locomotive length of 68 ft 10 in (21.0 m) over the coupler pulling faces. The SD38-2 and SD40-2 shared the same basic superstructure, since they both used the same 16-645E3 engine (in naturally aspirated and turbocharged form respectively); the long hood was 18 inches (46 cm) longer than the SD38 and SD40, but since the increase in frame length was even greater, the SD38-2 and SD40-2 were left with even larger front and rear "porches" than the earlier models. These empty areas at front and rear are distinctive spotting features to identify the Dash 2 models of both units. The SD40-2 can be distinguished from the SD38-2 by having three roof-mounted radiator fans instead of two. Another distinguishing feature of the SD40-2 as compared to the SD40 is the SD40-2's trucks (HT-C truck), which have shock absorbers on the outside of middle axle. However, this is not true of the former Conrail SD40-2s. After a rash of derailments involving Amtrak SDP40F units that were equipped with HT-C trucks, Conrail ordered the SD40-2 units and several orders of SD50s with the older flexicoil trucks.

WGL

Thanks for the explanation, pdlethbridge!  There seems to be space for the engineer & fireman to set a table & chairs to eat their lunches.  :)