News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas Model Projects

Started by SilverSpencer, March 31, 2007, 03:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpencer

Basically, this thread is only for all TTTE related projects, raging from members built models to loco and wagon conversions, kitbuilding E.T.C.
I feel the need for a thread like this to save cluttering up the rest of the board with threads of the same title!

Right, to start this thread off on the right track, a few members and myself from the Model Trains Forum have been doing a few Thomas projects of our own, and so far, we've managed to do what stockists like Hornby could not.

http://modelrailfansite.tripod.com/id13.html

This page shows what the members have currently in the works.

http://modelrailfansite.tripod.com/modelprojectsminisite/

and this page shows all the recently completed projects in all their glory, there are lots more projects to be added in good time, but do feel free to take a look at some of the completed works displayed on the minisite. :)

CNWman

WOW :o Nice pieces of model trains there! But ther are a few things I'd like to know ::)

1. How do you guys do those faces!?!?! I'd like to make some custom faces for the heck of it, even though I don't have anything Thomas related, yet.. :D
2. Can't wait to see Rosie ;D P.S. she's pink I think (rhyme not intended :P)
3. Can Molly be made? I don't think you can find her class of steamer for HO, maybe OO, but she'd be a nice chalenge ;D

I think Bachman better look at THAT

SilverSpencer

A friend of mine called Knuckles makes all his faces using Latex rubber, as for me, i used to use stuff called E-Z water, but it doens;t form very wlel, so i too am trying the latex rubber technique to make all my future face moulds.

Rosie is coming along nicely, she will be painted and lined in her tv series colours as soon as possible, only thing to worry about then is a suitable chassis and motor.
As for Molly, her model is based on the LNER D16  4-4-0, which is available in a eatched kit, so it is possible that she will be next in line to be made by one of us :)

Thanks for taking a look at the site, be sure to check back now and again to see what's new :)

PerfectPercy

I've seen pics of Rosie's painted body and she's looking good. The faces are great too.

LastQ6

Since silverspencer is no longer here, he has asked me to post up the completed projects page that he and others on a forum called MTF have done.

They are remarkable models, both in the form of Railway Series and Television Series characters, the gallery is full of models that have recently been completed by the owners.

http://modelrailfansite.tripod.com/modelprojectsminisite/
Click below to view all my projects in my new blog

http://www.thethomasmodeller.blogspot.com

The Chaz Storm

Those aren't bad, it's nice seeing Henryblue's hard work there too. :)  Knuckles has done wonders with the Duck and Gordon model, I really am impressed all of the hard work and effort that has been put into the models. :)

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Not bad.I myself am converting my Bachmann Henry to Henry's Old Shape.

styntwin409

I think it would be wicked cool if someone made Henry in his blue version from the old stories.

~Styntwin409
P.S. Anyone got any Thomas & Friends projects that are quite easy that they can tell me how to do, or at least what things from Sodor are easy to model. Thanks!)
~Contact me on my new account, Chessie Sys. 3022~

My Chessie layout site

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well,if you already had him in his old shape,Blue Henry would be 5 minutes work with a paintbrush and blue acrylic paint.Or,if you had the Bachmann
Henry,cut the splashers("Wheel Arches") off,and cut the tender into the correct style for his new shape.

styntwin409

Well, do acrylic paints really work? I used black acrylic on my Henry model to touch him up and a) it was kind of splotchy and b) it looked like the parts I painted were wood. I used just regular acrylic paint with not doing anything to it. Is their some way to make it look like it's still plastic? Should I do something to the paint to make it look better?

~Styntwin409

My Chessie layout site

Guilford Guy

Use water based acrylics such as Floquil's Polly Scale, or Testors, or Modelflex(I personally prefer Modelflex).
Alex

StanierJack

Quote from: styntwin409 on January 16, 2008, 04:14:50 PM
Well, do acrylic paints really work? I used black acrylic on my Henry model to touch him up and a) it was kind of splotchy and b) it looked like the parts I painted were wood. I used just regular acrylic paint with not doing anything to it. Is their some way to make it look like it's still plastic? Should I do something to the paint to make it look better?

~Styntwin409

Have you seen my models? They are done with Tamiya accrylics, so they do work.

styntwin409

Hey Guilford Guy-Could I add water to the paints instead, or do I have to buy new ones? Also, I do brush painting. Could this affect it?

~Styntwin409

My Chessie layout site

Guilford Guy

Water based paints go on fine with brush painting.
(Modelflex paint, Microscale decals, and Bar Mills weathering powders)
Get a good paint brush and some modelflex paints and it should work well. I haven't tried watering down paints, but suspect you will get a much better result with commercially made water based paints.
Alex

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Does anyone know where I could get those Ratio Models coach kits Dan Snell used to make the Old Coaches?