News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Spectrum 2-8-0 Front Coupler

Started by Frank B, May 28, 2009, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank B

I notice the 2-8-0 is now listed as having working couplers at both ends.

This upgrade hasn't filtered down to our LHS here in Melborne FL.

How long has the new front coupler been shipping?

Thank,

Frank

dtpowell

Frank,

I looked at the features list for the 2-8-0 on the catalog page and right you are! Bachmann lists it with operating couplers front and rear. I would hope this is correct and Bachmann has finally decided to offer automatics. It would be quite a revelation!
Sadly, I fear this may have been a "copy and paste" feature listing from an older diesel featuring operating Rapido couplers front and rear. Added to the 2-8-0 features listings. The new poor quality Bachmann knuckle couplers are hardly automatic.
I sure Hope I'm wrong!

Dave

Frank B

Dave,

Thanks for your followup.

I'd like to buy a 2-8-0 next weekend at the quarterly "train show" here in Melbourne, and was hoping Bachmann might have made the mod sufficiently long enough ago that the newest would be available.

I'm just now coming back to n-scale after a 30 year layoff, so things have happily changed a bit.

Regards,

Frank

Chris333

Putting a MT 903/905 Z scale coupler on the front is pretty easy.

I cut the back of the coupler box off just like the MT instructions show:

dtpowell

Hello again Frank,

I too was away from N scale for many years. The 2-8-0 was one of the first locomotives I purchased. I've been very happy with it's performance. The switch to the MTL coupler was relatively easy.

Chris, I never thought of adding a Z scale coupler to the front. It looks great! Thanks for posting the pictures. I think I'll try to add one to mine.

Dave